• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Flat tow TOAD and motorcycle question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Friend, I have never owned an RV. But, boats will always need work and almost always require storage. And respectfully the marinas where you are will have you by the bills for the haul out and storage fees. I have so many thoughts on this marina/boat matters that cannot fit here. I think if you want to dedicate your life to a boat fully, you need to. It’s difficult to manage life ashore and your boat. Fatty goodlander the author has some good examples on this philosophy. However, it’s not the 1970s living on anchor any more. You can’t live out there on a boat unless you have money. I need to be shore side to make my money, then in another 5-10 years or so I can get my island packet Orion 27 or moriah 31. I have been hustled out of harbors and by all means I’m not a poor person. The truth is they only welcome the millionaires there any more, the people that spend the money without abandon.

Like now I was always on the hook. The only time I was in a marina was if they let me tie up to the dingy dock. The boats are my history, and the RV life is my present.

What is common about then and now, is that I only spend time in the marina/resort when they have a service I need. I like my space!

Agreed friend. At this time I need to work my job and invest the hours for my pension and invest my own money in my personal retirement account. I’m stuck. I think I need to work for few/many years more to get the dividend account churning out some real cash then I can consider going free range like you. I’m investing up to 20% of my income every year but this has only happened since 2015 or so. I was very damaged from the 2008 financial crisis in the time I was supposed to be starting my career. I was stifled for many years.

Yes, you can tow a trailer/car behind a Versahaul. The DR650 is rated at 350 lbs not 500, easily carried on a Versahual.

Yes, you can tow a trailer/car behind a Versahaul. The DR650 is rated at 350 lbs not 500, easily carried on a Versahual.
Respectfully that’s the dry weight. With oil, the 6.6 gallon tank I have, bash plate, luggage rack, top rack, bark busters, case guards, heavier tires/tubes, windshield, and various bolt on accessories I’m pushing 430 or so. I’m also adding a safe 20% weight margin for the tongue weight. Curb stock weight is 365 without all the accessories.

Service Manual: "Dry mass................................................... 147 kg (324 lbs)"

Owners manual: "Curb Mass................................................. 166kg (365 lbs)"

Last edited:
Ok, at least 365lbs, even 430lbs is a lot less than 500lbs. When I haul I don't leave any of the accessories on the bike like saddle bags or tank bags. I also try to keep the fuel in the tank as low as possible.

Latest resources

Back