• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Flat tow TOAD and motorcycle question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I stand corrected, I don’t see the frontier on that list. however the Corolla IM, Corolla and yaris are there. the rest of those vehicles are crap or way out of my price range. Looking at maybe spending 12k-17k on a corolla or yaris. I can get a nice low mile one that’s about 3 years old in this range. We’re not all made of money and money doesn’t solve all problems. Just like the sailing community I notice RV owners have that disconnect with the money is no object category. I’m in my working years and I try to be debt free as much a as possible, I am not retired and I have no fixed income coming in every month. No disrespect intended by anything in this comment.

I stand corrected, I don’t see the frontier on that list. however the Corolla IM, Corolla and yaris are there. the rest of those vehicles are crap or way out of my price range. Looking at maybe spending 12k-17k on a corolla or yaris. I can get a nice low mile one that’s about 3 years old in this range. We’re not all made of money and money doesn’t solve all problems. Just like the sailing community I notice RV owners have that disconnect with the money is no object category. I’m in my working years and I try to be debt free as much a as possible, I am not retired and I have no fixed income coming in every month. No disrespect intended by anything in this comment.
I do understand your point about having limited financial resources. That said, there is going to be a cost to doing things right. Many of us on this forum have witnessed the result of trying to cut corners or trying to make-do with something that really isn’t suitable for the intended purpose. Hopefully, by providing straight up information, we can help another RVers avoid those pitfalls.

No offense taken to your post. It is always good to be on the same page during a discussion. (y)

TJ

Well, I am going about this in this order. Replace my current car, add the tow bars to the new one. Hopefully pay off the car within a year then start looking at class c rvs. I have the opportunity to travel the country for my job and pay off the RV in the process. Currently my life is complicated with a mortgage. I may have issues trying to keep/rent out the house. I may have some trouble getting an RV loan while having a mortgage because of my debt to income ratio. I’m roughly looking at a 10 year loan at 4.5% on a 75k class c Mercedes sprinter. the rough estimate is $777 per month not including insurance and whatever maintenance and lot rent. I may be forced to make some financial decisions in the next year or two.

Ok, after much consideration and research today. I realized I need to get a 30 foot or so toy hauler with an f250 to pull it. Between the toad and the class c I’m in almost 100k. Plus I would need to get the auto braking system and the brake wiring and tow bars for the said car (That’s a lot of gas money). Plus it would be easier buying the pulling truck and trailer piece meal as it’s not as much debt all at once. I will be in about less than half the price of the sprinter and whole other car plus I get to put my bike in the toy hauler. lets see if this makes sense. That puts me on a decent timeline and I can pay off the truck in about a year then just get a small loan on the camper.

2014 Ford F-250 with 45,000 miles, 2wd, 6.2 gas engine, 12000# tow capacity. $23,000 locally
2021 forest river boost 27qb from couches RV in Columbus Ohio. I think this is the camper my parents ended up with, I will have to ask them tomorrow. They got an amazing deal on the last two campers they bought. I should be in about 50,000 or so. That may work better keeping the mortgaged house as well. I will post in the toy hauler thread from now on. Thank you.

Attachments

• 5E724D44-25CF-4519-950F-179C3028BAB2.png
    5E724D44-25CF-4519-950F-179C3028BAB2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Looks like everyone ignored the Tandem Tow idea after someone mentioned it earlier. That is probably because there are few of them around and most RVers don't even know what they are or what they do.

A Tandem Tow is an extended tow dolly that allows you to carry anything from a single motorcycle to a golf cart plus dolly a front wheel drive car. This set up would solve all the OPs issues. He could still RV in the small C class type he is set on because you adjust the tongue weight on a tandem tow according to what you are putting on the dolly portion.

Tandem tows come in 4'x8' platform configurations, 6'x8', and 8'x8'. I recently sold my 8'x8'. We hauled a Harley Trike and a KIA Sportage and had the tongue weight set right at 400 pounds. If you can find a good used Tandem Tow it might be a lot cheaper than setting up a vehicle for flat towing. I sold mine for under $4,000.00.

Yes. He let us know he didn't want to use a dolly for storage reasons. He also rejected car trailers.

Ok @sealab2021 your swing in my direction now. There is a lot of stuff in an RV that I call fluff. RV fluff represents a bunch of useless weight, unlike a my pillow. Many toy haulers are minimal and serve dual purposes.

Because I think out in the back 40 of trailer land, I chose a cargo trailer and converted it before that became a thing to do. Both my wing and KK tent trailer fit inside of it. I built Murphy bed and entertainment center, stove, fridge, and cabinets into it. I powered it with solar and stayed off grid.

Problem with the idea was RV parks frown on such conversations. A few manufacturers have built on that trend if you look for a while you can find them.

I personally am glad that the RV parks introduced me to a better way to RV and raised my bar.

Like I said my parents have a toy hauler. In fact they are on their 3rd one. I have stayed in the last two and they are quite functional. especially being able to sit inside the screened in porch without the mosquitos getting in. They stay at state parks and they never had any issues with having a toy hauler or unloading the motorcycle. You mean they frowned on your custom conversion? Sounds like you know what you’re doing and have been at this for a while. I have visited them in a lot of state parks and everyone has a similar setup, also total length is an issue too.

While we’re on the subject I know the difference between grand central station KOA campgrounds with massive pull through spots (big enough for the longest greyhound bus) I have seen it all. One person had a Lamborghini inside his trailer, one guy had a helicopter and another guy had custom hydraulic lifts inside his trailer where he stored 2 cars.

I like the more secluded quiet spots where they are more than willing to accept the toy hauler lifestyle. I know this doesn’t represent every RV style campground but in my experience the bigger the bigger the park where they fly around on golf carts probably drunk blasting music and partying until 2am, allowing their dozens of screeching children to roam around unsupervised.

Just like I replied in the other thread, some people are willing to pay more for seclusion and silence. I see there is already two different ideas on whats considered an RV park and a smaller campground that has limits on total size. The places I plan on going I don’t need a car trailer, to haul stuff. I‘m interested in this lifestyle for the simplicity, cost , maintenance, storage and upfront costs.

Last edited:
You mean they frowned on your custom conversion?
that's it, rules say many things and van conversions and cargo trailer conversions are not what many of them want in them. Like I said I am ok with that. I like to boon dock anyhow.

I like our friendly banter Kevin. I know about “fluff” I have lived on sailboats for about 6 years, 2 solid on anchor. I’m well aware of fluff and lifestyle creep. If I don’t need it, I sell it. Ditto if I have not used it in over a year. You should see how much fluff you collect when you live in a house. When you live in an RV/boat you own less stuff because it’s a necessity. However, I bought a new 10’8 porta-bote over this winter, as I enjoy fishing, boating and gunkholing. The portabote folds up to about the size of a SUP or a little bigger than a surf board And can be launched almost anywhere where there’s public access to the water. It opens up way more opportunities For fun and activities. I have a newer 35# Yamaha 2hp to power it. I just sold a 14.5 enclosed kayak that proved too hot in the summer and too heavy. I also plan on getting a quality sit on top that is about 15 pounds lighter than the new/old touring kayak And thus will be used more often.

We all have different needs, wants and desires. one size does not fit all. what one person finds is fluff, another person will use weekly. For instance, my bike is important to me because I enjoy riding and I ride every opportunity it’s not raining or does not require cargo capacity. I feel, in the truck camper the fuel mileage gain of the truck versus bike will be offset by small chores or food runs/trips to the beach much cheaper and the parking and more pleasurable With the bike. I encourage someone to convince me otherwise.

Who would want to, I was on the other side, sea of Cortez side. I too could not give up all boating options for many years. Even thought about getting another a couple years back, but alas here I am still in the RV.

Latest resources

Back