Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fleetwood Flair 34R - Convert Location (and diagnosis).

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JeffAndPam

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Flair, 34R
RV Length
34'
Fulltimer
No
I've been having trouble with a dead battery, and a few here have suggesting checking my converter.

Question 1: Where is it?

Generally, it is near the fuse panel as some are built into the fuse panel and some plug into the back of the fuse panel in a dedicated socket. Plus it feeds the fuse panel with large gauge wires, they don't like to run them far.

Generally, it is near the fuse panel as some are built into the fuse panel and some plug into the back of the fuse panel in a dedicated socket. Plus it feeds the fuse panel with large gauge wires, they don't like to run them far.
I found an access panel on the side of the fuse box, and sure enough it looks like there's a metal box attached directly to the back of it (outlined in yellow):

Behind Fuse Box.jpg

So I'm assuming that metal box in the center of this picture is the convert. Correct?

Hard to tell from the pic. It should have a 120v plug and 2 12v dc wires with a couple of fuses beside them

Hard to tell from the pic. It should have a 120v plug and 2 12v dc wires with a couple of fuses beside them
I'll disconnect power, pull out the fuse box and take a look. Thank you for your help.

UPDATE: After unhooking all power, I took a closer look at this box. It is 5" x 5" x 6", solid on all sides, and has three orange 10-2 wire bundles entering in from the bottom (you can slightly see in the picture).

There are no vents for a fan.
This does not appear to be the converter. Pulling it out and opening it looks to be a bit of a chore.

Is there another place the converter could be? I've heard mention of under the fridge, but there are no access panels under it.

Check near the batteries, it must have 120 vac to work and be hooked up to 12 vdc to charge the batteries.

Check near the batteries, it must have 120 vac to work and be hooked up to 12 vdc to charge the batteries.
So house battery is located under the stairs. Looking under the vehicle, the negative cord connects to the frame, the positive cord heads in the direction of the chassis battery.

The chassis battery is on the complete opposite end of where the shore power comes in, and the circuit panel is (it's in the back bedroom). That seems like a long distance to have a 120v AC travel. Are power converters sometimes found near the engine?

The paneling under the fridge is completely solid and not removable, so I know it's not there.

I'm really at a loss for where it is.

I've seen a few of these Flairs used and for sale online. Would it be poor form to contact these people selling this RV to see if they know where theirs is?

I want pictures! Not where you've been, and not zoomed in! I want to see the 12v panel, the 115vac panel, I want to see their locations so I can make a guess.

But let me tell you how I work! I take the panel covers off, isolate the power stud that supplies the fuses! I want to know what that supply wire looks like so I can see that bugger in a wire loom.

On the ac side I want to know if the converter cord finds its way into that panel, or if the converter is plugged into a receptacle some distance from the panel!

Of course that means I want pictures of behind those panel covers. Simply put I get frustrated with the where did I hide the egg games!

Not that I don't have time for them, I just don't like them.

Latest resources

Back