Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
How many RVers use a food saver to vacuum seal food as well as even RV spare parts as belts and some other items will supposedly last longer if stored vacuum sealed? I learned of the food saver when at Camp Freightliner but decided it's a good thing for buying in bulk and then freezing for long term storage until ready to use.

Do you use a Food Saver? Which one? Any experiences with it? Do share...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI342B4/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K07MZBO/?tag=rvf01-20

food-saver.png

food-saver-rolls.png

I think we did this thread back in January, @Neal. General gear suggestions

To recap, we have long-used a vacuum sealer, though we don't usually carry it in the coach. We probably should.

Got a Food Saver at Costco way back when and seal all of our bulk food purchases in individual portions. And, as you have suggested, I have also sealed a spare serpentine belt, Oasis pumps, spare 350A fuses, etc.

TJ

Excellent find! I searched on Food Saver and didn't get a hit so I figured I'd discuss it. I pulled out dinner for tonight and it was vacuum sealed so I figured I'd share (again) :)

Edit: I did a check as to why my search for "Food Saver" didn't return anything in case search on the site had an issue. I see that in that thread it's named "FoodSaver" - whew. I need to hone my search skills to be like @TJ&LadyDi :)

Excellent find! I searched on Food Saver and didn't get a hit so I figured I'd discuss it. I pulled out dinner for tonight and it was vacuum sealed so I figured I'd share (again) :)

Edit: I did a check as to why my search for "Food Saver" didn't return anything in case search on the site had an issue. I see that in that thread it's named "FoodSaver" - whew. I need to hone my search skills to be like @TJ&LadyDi :)
No worries, @Neal. I searched for "vacuum seal."

TJ

I started using Food Saver 10 years ago at home; and, once we retire, I will be sure to bring it with us.

Meat doesn't get freezer burnt as easily, vegetables stay fresh a lot longer, and it's nice for frozen meals. You can heat the bag right in boiling water.

Be sure to freeze any meals with liquid in it, such as soup, first before packing it in Food Saver bags; otherwise, the liquid gets sucked up into the machine. I make chili, veggie soup, casseroles etc. It's great to save time while camping.

I started using Food Saver 10 years ago at home; and, once we retire, I will be sure to bring it with us.

Meat doesn't get freezer burnt as easily, vegetables stay fresh a lot longer, and it's nice for frozen meals. You can heat the bag right in boiling water.

Be sure to freeze any meals with liquid in it, such as soup, first before packing it in Food Saver bags; otherwise, the liquid gets sucked up into the machine. I make chili, veggie soup, casseroles etc. It's great to save time while camping.

here’s a way to vacuum seal wet foods I freeze quite a bit of fish. Make your bags long enough the liquid is below the sealers element you’ll find a happy medium then I split a paper towel length ways wipe the bag inside and out near the area to be sealed then carefully lay that paper towel across the bag i like it folded so it’s two layers inside making sure it’s pretty smooth and that it tucks fully into the corners and far enough into the bag that it won’t get in the sealing area start the vacuum sealer in motion by inserting your bag after working the bulk of the air out. As soon as liquid starts to get beyond the towel hit seal. When you figure out how to do this it works really well.

How many RVers use a food saver to vacuum seal food as well as even RV spare parts as belts and some other items will supposedly last longer if stored vacuum sealed? I learned of the food saver when at Camp Freightliner but decided it's a good thing for buying in bulk and then freezing for long term storage until ready to use.

Do you use a Food Saver? Which one? Any experiences with it? Do share...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI342B4/?tag=rvf01-20

Amazon.com: 2 Pack - SimpleHouseware 11" x 50 Feet Vacuum Sealer Bags (total 100 feet): Kitchen & Dining

View attachment 1695

View attachment 1694
Oh yah. I used to do that, been so long ago I almost forgot.? Now that you reminded me I kept the containers and got a hand held unit and marinade stakes with it.

I love my food saver! I use it in my kitchen often and it will definitely have a home when we go full-time RV next month. Just the ability to brine/marinate without getting dishes dirty or worrying about spilling makes it my favorite kitchen tool.

I love my food saver! I use it in my kitchen often and it will definitely have a home when we go full-time RV next month. Just the ability to brine/marinate without getting dishes dirty or worrying about spilling makes it my favorite kitchen tool.
Now, there's a gal that knows how to use her food saver! :rolleyes: Second time's a charm. ;)

TJ

Latest resources

Back