RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
For those that have these types of attachments, I made a small modification to the procedure that simplifies it (for me anyway).

Background:
The “simple” instructions say to thread the loop end of the elastic cord behind the tire (somehow), then thread the loop through the other grommet, then again somehow thread the cord back behind the tire and put the loop over the ball. Done. Simple? Maybe for a young, agile, with 20/20 eyes and joints that actually move. I am none of the above.

Additions:
1. A stick that I attached a length of parachute cord about 18” long, with a bowline loop on the end.
2. A metal “S” hook with enough strength for the task. 1/8” would probably be adequate. Mine were larger (too large) but they were in my parts collection.

Changes:
1. Have the elastic cord threaded through one grommet.
2. Put the “S” over the cord and close the one loop so that it doesn’t fall off.
3. Place the loop over the ball.

Now the modifications are done. The new attachment process is:
1. Place the stick behind the tire so that the paracord can hook onto the “S” hook.
2. Draw the stick towards the unattached grommet, pulling the “S” hook and elastic cord.
3. Grab the elastic cord and remove the paracord loop and attach “S” to grommet.

It’s also an advantage that the “S” hook can float along the elastic cord to equalize the tension.

Yes, yes, yes, there are covers that are simpler to install. Next time, I’m thinking SnapRing!

I tried the snap ring covers and was not impressed. The wind here in Iowa has blowen them off at times. They're also a bit of a pain to store.

I've given up on tire covers and instead use Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care. My Michilens are 6 years old and show no sign of cracking.

I apply it about every six weeks. I don't follow the directions. I spray it on and use a cheap 3-inch paint brush to work it in. Wait till it dries (10-20 minutes). Afterwards I spray some Wash Wax All on them to seal it.

I use the same brush over and over because the Rubber Care does not harden or goop it up.

Latest resources

Back