• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Freightliner chassis are here for a while

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
An admirable request but how could they do that? Newmar sets the spec. SP delivers a chassis that matches. If SP goes out and decides, Newmar said drum brakes and SP delivers a chassis with disc brakes, Newmar will probably reject it as it’s not to spec.

Actually, what you describe is exactly what happened back in 2017 with the disc brakes. Spartan had been building chassis for Dutch Stars for years. But Freight Liner came along and wanted that business so they bid low and Newmar went with FL, dropping Spartan.

After a few years, Owners were clamoring for a Spartan option and Spartan wanted back in, so a deal was struck for Spartan to be offered on the 2017 coaches for the same price as Freightliner. No up-charge. The only problem was that Newmar speced Disc-Drum-Drum for the Dutch Star and Spartan did not have a supplier lined up for drum brakes. All the Spartan chassis being used on the high-line coaches had all disc brakes.

So Newmar granted a variance to Spartan to allow them to put all disc brakes on the 17 Dutch Stars. We bought one of those units.

By 2018, Spartan had lined up a drum brake supplier, but they could not supply enough units to cover all demand, so the 18 Dutch Stars are Disc-Disc-Drum. By 2019, the up-charge was back and the Dutch Star was also in compliance with the Newmar spec of Disk-Drum-Drum.

I heard from a Spartan guy at a rally that the up-charge returned in part because demand for Spartan chassis was high and it helped to balance supply and demand. Not clear whose pocket got lined with the up-charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technology in the dash could also be the lack thereof.

I have a big gripe with FL and how they have neglected the 2018/2019 dash dimmer. Spartan got it right, the first time.

If you put technology in the dash, then you have to keep it updated. Refusing to do so is very irresponsible and insulting to the customer.

That is my only real gripe with FL, but it is big enough that I want Spartan to really succeed.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Spartan's stock is down to 11, if they are financially in crisis per this thread (my assumption) I wonder if they will survive 2020?

I saw this, and decided that NCLH and CCL where better buys. I left spartan for other speculators.

My track history is terrible with stocks. I probably single handidly doomed the cruise industry and killed Freightliner :)

Last time I bought stock was WorldCom.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

All of you know my portfolio is 100% Spartan Motors Inc.

All of you know my portfolio is 100% Spartan Motors Inc.
Better diversify a bit and buy some Freightliner and Winnebago. :ROFLMAO:

That way, when the RV industry goes bust, you'll be fully covered.

TJ

Latest resources

Back