RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3341
RV Length
34’
TOW/TOAD
2016 Cadillac SRX
Recently my coach developed a problem with the rear lights every time the brakes are applied...
  • Left taillight dims
  • Both backup lights illuminate
  • Backup warning signal sounds
My coach is included in the PDM recall so I assumed this was the result of a defective PDM and was successful in making an appointment to have the PDM replaced. Upon arrival at the Freightliner dealer this morning, the service rep looked up my VIN and said it is not part of any active recall. I guess this is technically correct since the letters received thus far have said the actual recall is imminent. At any rate, after explaining the situation, they took the coach in for an inspection. Sure enough, the PDM failed the test and they replaced it. That’s the good news.

The bad news...that didn’t solve the underlying issue. The rear lights still act up when the brakes are applied...the dealer attempted to find the issue without success. He feels there is a short in the wiring harness with the brake light wire triggering the back up lights and alarm. Because the problem stems from the wiring harness installed by Newmar it is a Newmar issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem with their rear lights?

BTW this is my second experience with Southport Truck Group in Ft Myers and I highly recommend them for Freightliner service. It is a very clean and professionally run operation located close to RSW airport. I feel they did every thing they could to resolve the issue.

Have you called or emailed FL Gaffney? I would. Use the 24/7 app to get the number or email: [email protected]

There may be more than one PDM and something else may have failed.

Have you called or emailed FL Gaffney? I would. Use the 24/7 app to get the number or email: [email protected]

There may be more than one PDM and something else may have failed.
Thanks Neal...yes, will check with FL and then Newmar in an attempt to confirm diagnosis.

I got my recall letter Monday, and setup appointment for April 28th 2021 in Gaffney. Waited so long because of Wrist and Winter. By then it won't snow anymore and either it will be better or nothing can be done. Won't know that till end of December.

Update on my Tail Light issue...it was not a PDM issue.

I was quite sure the diagnosis suggested by the local FL dealer was correct so I contacted my go-to guy for 12v electronics. Sure enough...he traced the problem to a short in the wiring harness connecting the driver side tail lights to the main harness from the PDM. By trial and error we were then able to zip tie the harness in a position so the short was eliminated and all lights are functioning correctly. My wife and I did a 375 mile trip this weekend over central FL 2 & 4 lane highways (in other words-bumpy) and everything is still working. I will order a new harness for installation before our next long trip.

You are 3D printing that new harness aren't you?

Since you are right down there in SW Florida I will just throw this out for future reference. Two years ago I had the check engine light coming on. First FL/Cummins service center checked it over and said it was throwing a code for high temp in DEF tank. Couple months later light came back on. Different FL/Cummins service center in Utah checked it over. "Something to do with DEF" but no big deal. Cleared it. Next month on the way to Florida.....yep...check engine light. Got in to North Trail and they checked code and I needed a new DEF tower. Two hours later I was back on the road with issue finally fixed.

Sometimes FL/Cummins shops don't experience the same repeated issues that places like North Trail see with all the coaches they get into their service bays.

You are 3D printing that new harness aren't you?
Great idea Neal...you've probably already posted a file on Thingiverse, right?

Since you are right down there in SW Florida I will just throw this out for future reference. Two years ago I had the check engine light coming on. First FL/Cummins service center checked it over and said it was throwing a code for high temp in DEF tank. Couple months later light came back on. Different FL/Cummins service center in Utah checked it over. "Something to do with DEF" but no big deal. Cleared it. Next month on the way to Florida.....yep...check engine light. Got in to North Trail and they checked code and I needed a new DEF tower. Two hours later I was back on the road with issue finally fixed.

Sometimes FL/Cummins shops don't experience the same repeated issues that places like North Trail see with all the coaches they get into their service bays.
Yes, have been to NT several time for both service and body work. In this situation, I didn't feel the need...getting an appointment this time of year can be difficult and typically the coach needs to be left there while in the queue.

Latest resources

Back