Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
If I plan on full time travels and will be staying only in locations with hook ups is it bad to go a long time with my fresh tank empty?

My opinion is It’s always better to keep fresh water in your tank and I use the water from my tank preferably. its always good to carry water when you are traveling in case of unforeseen issues weather, mechanical etc that requires you to stay in a rest stop parking lot etc. I travel with a 1/2 tank just in case. Just my 2 cents.

IMHO where there is no fluid will be something else that grows. Keep it full, cycle it, sanitize it, i.e. maintain it. I prefer fuel and water full, black/gray empty.

Also think of survival/safety. Your water supply is your reserve should you not make it to your destination for whatever reason.

I also think having a full tank of good water in my motorhome as a backup in case there would be a failure in the water supply to my house. That also goes for a full tank of fuel and regularly exercised generator that would be ready to go if needed in an emergency. I change the water in the tank regularly.

We live somewhat near the famous 3 Mile Island, which I remember quite well. When it came out that things were worse than they first said, we packed up and headed to my parents farm up north. I like the idea of having a vehicle that can be used in an emergency.

When using the coach, I always keep at least a quarter of a tank of fresh water on board to use on the road and 'just in case'. I have been in an RV resort that has had a water system failure and I had water while they repaired the broken pipe.

Safe travels.

Same as @Neal. When possible, the fresh is full, fuel is full, and grey & black are empty. Always good to have a “home-on-wheels” ready for any emergency.

We usually on travel days keep about 1/3 full so we can use the facilities. I almost always fill the tank when we get to where are going. I prefer a good shower and find running the pump and faucet works very well.

Latest resources

Back