Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Front cap and windshield Bug removal-share best practices!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am very religious about cleaning my coach from bugs within 12 hours.

I will often wash the front end during the middle of a drive.

After every day of driving, I use nothing but water and microfiber rags to remove the bugs. A pressure washer helps. Once all bugs are gone, i reapply 303 on the entire front cap.

Before every trip, I start with a fresh coat of 303.

This has worked for 7 years.

After a good cleaning and waxing before every trip I use a cheap furniture polish. (Kleen Guard) and spray the front cap. This stuff works well when I had my plane for many years. Once your done with your trip, or stopping for fuel, spray it again and the bugs come right off.

20180518_141616.jpg
Following

Can you just spray it on, wait a minute or two and rinse the bugs off with a hose? That would be great at the end of a long day driving to do a quick cleanup on the windshield and front of the coach without any scrubbing.

TJ

Yes, this works great and melts them off.

For the first time, last week, I used the "Dryer Sheet" recommendation. A small bucket of warm water, a couple of dryer sheets; some elbow grease required, but all in all, fairly easy.
It took about an hour to do the entire front end of the coach. You need to have a towel, to wipe of the residue.

BUT, I just ordered the stuff Neal recommended! He says the bugs "melt off"! Guess we will find out!:)

Here's what I use which can be another option for you to consider.

In addition, I keep a 2-gallon sprayer filled with this diluted solution. I like this because you can adjust the spray nozzle and spray the top cap and windshield from the ground level. Let it run down and watch the bugs melt away. I use my extend-a-pole with microfiber towel to lightly rub and then rinse off with water. I like to get the bugs off every evening so I use this after every day of driving.
Another tip: put a little of this chemical in your windshield wiper fluid in your bus, car, truck, etc. Works great!

Best regards,
Sjs

I ordered the Wash Wax all scrubber head today. I didn't really have the appropriate tool to reach to top of the cap and window. Question, I don't think the area over the window has the diamondshield does it? Am I ok to use the scrubber there?

You will be ok with the microfiber side as long as you use the 2 bucket rinse between each pass. Don't use the other side

The key to bug removal is to get it before it has time to dry on. I always clean while fueling, and often will pull into a rest stop to clean the front cap and exercise a bit while driving. Doing it frequently keeps it clean and makes the job easier.

I also don't like driving with a dirty windshield..ruins my view. I have rigged the generator water tap to be down low so that I don't have to pop the hood to get to it. I will usually use that water suppy to wash the front end only, but if its a big mess, then I pull out the pressure washer.

Latest resources

Back