Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Whataday

RVF Regular
I parked my RV on a slant (forward down) and the next morning noticed a major leak from below the generator. I lost about 30 gallons of gas, before I finally put it in neutral and coasted it down the driveway to a more level spot. The leak continued. It seams as though once I lost enough gas from the main tank to the generator, the leak stopped (started with a full tank and now have 1/4). I looked on the back side of the generator to see if there was a cracked hose and the hose going into the generator looks good. Now I'm faced with opening the back of the generator to see what may be going on inside. It looks pretty tricky to unbolt the metal housing that the generator sits in, to get access to the back panel of the generator itself. Any help would be appreciated.

2007 Forest River-SunSeeker 4000 Onan Generator

Sorry to hear about your situation. The fuel is (most likely) leaking from the fuel line. It connects to the tank and to the generator. Just replace that entire length of hose. While your at it, put an inline fuel shut off so when you replace the fuel filter (in the future) you can shut off the fuel. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your situation. The fuel is (most likely) leaking from the fuel line. It connects to the tank and to the generator. Just replace that entire length of hose. While your at it, put an inline fuel shut off so when you replace the fuel filter (in the future) you can shut off the fuel. Good luck.

Since it is a gas generator, it likely has a carburetor. If so, the float valve may not be working properly, allowing gravity to push fuel out through the carburetor. Most generator fuel systems drawing from the main tank are set up so they won’t allow drawing the tank below 1/4 full. This avoids completely disabling the coach and that feature would explain why the “leak” stopped at that point.

TJ

Thank you for your reply. To be a little more specific...the leak is within the back of the generator. The gas hose into it is in good shape.

Since it is a gas generator, it likely has a carburetor. If so, the float valve may not be working properly, allowing gravity to push fuel out through the carburetor. Most generator fuel systems drawing from the main tank are set up so they won’t allow drawing the tank below 1/4 full. This avoids completely disabling the coach and that feature would explain why the “leak” stopped at that point.

TJ
Thank you TJ. Can you access the float valve from the front?

I don’t know your specific generator model, so don’t have that information. I would think that there should be a service access panel in that area, but don’t know for sure. The float valve will be internal to the carburetor, so is not something you could fix without disassembling it. Before I went there, I think I would have an experienced generator tech diagnose the problem.

TJ

Yes, thanks TJ. Unfortunately, that was my thought also. There is no access to the back of the generator box, without taking bolts off the cage in which it's mounted from.

Latest resources

Back