• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Garmin 770 Updates Available

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I bought a reman'd 770 with 1 year Manuf warranty - updating sw (7.0.1) and maps in it now. Question - when you input your Motorhome length, do you include the towed vehicle? Also, my coach is listed at 102" but with mirrors it is more like 128", so that is what I entered for width - sound right?

...Question - when you input your Motorhome length, do you include the towed vehicle? Also, my coach is listed at 102" but with mirrors it is more like 128", so that is what I entered for width - sound right?

I do not include the toad in the length as your coach pivots at the hitch is my reasoning.

I do not include mirrors in the width

Makes sense on the pivot for the length. I was thinking about toll booths when I added width including mirrors. When I had gates made at the house to let the coach through, I used the 102" and added 18" to the width. When I brought the coach home from storage I could not get through the opening - I needed another 8" of width due to the mirrors - DOH!! Had to get new gates made.

You may find that if you put the widest and longest per your original question you'll be taking train tracks to your destinations :)

I thought 102 inches was the limit without a "Wide Load Permit". Will the Garmin restrict travel to only roads that allow oversize loads?

"While regulations vary from state to state, there are some typical guidelines that you can expect to meet across the United States: The standard width of a highway lane is 12 feet. Loads exceeding 8.5 feet wide are considered oversize and require a state permit. Maximum height limit is 12.5 to 14.5 feet."

TruckMap is free, available on iOS and Android and allows setting height, weight, length, avoid tolls, truck type (I use ‘Dry Van’), commercial or not, hazardous load and more.
798A5B05-C009-468A-837F-6BD9406C1FA6.png

I am not affiliated, just really like it and don’t have to worry about map updates.

I thought 102 inches was the limit without a "Wide Load Permit". Will the Garmin restrict travel to only roads that allow oversize loads?

"While regulations vary from state to state, there are some typical guidelines that you can expect to meet across the United States: The standard width of a highway lane is 12 feet. Loads exceeding 8.5 feet wide are considered oversize and require a state permit. Maximum height limit is 12.5 to 14.5 feet."
Hadn't thought of that - nice catch. Would it have still routed me even being over size by that definition?

Last edited:
Another question, I bought a 32GB micro SD card (I can't believe how cheap they are now) for the 770 - so what would be stored on this card? On my Nuvi I could expand map memory and store EU maps but not sure what would be stored on this one. Any idea or did I waste $7 ? ;-)

I didn't add a card, not necessary for my use at least. Maybe it's to store more saved routes or additional maps than what it comes with?

There's always used for SD cards such as updating dash nav units, etc.

An SD card is not needed for normal usage.
External storage CAN be used for other things such as photos, Birds-eye views, etc. which can be loaded via programs such as BASECAMP.

Also, for folks who load multiple maps, the base memory will run out, this necessitating an external SD card.

Latest resources

Back