• Commercial/Vendors welcome

garmin gps

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I do like it and continue to use it but I several times now have questioned its routing, after the fact. It is frequently updated and hope the algorithm that seems to have been changed since the 770 will be adjusted. I think it's important to review your route such as with another program whether waze, google maps, etc. and be familiar with where you should be going and compare this with where the 890 is taking you understanding the 890 is taking into account your height, width, weight, and other params waze and google maps are not using as they assume car. Long story longer...yes, there are some concerns with the 890.

Today I did a drive from home (Midlothian, VA) to Luray, VA. I did a review yesterday to see how long of a drive to expect using google maps and noticed a route different than I've done in the past which typically remains highway 64 to 81. I've done this route a few times in the past, last time was with my Garmin 770. I was surprised to see today that the Garmin RV 890 used the same route google maps used which took me off I-64 through Gordonsville, VA. I recently updated the maps and keep the firmware updated.

So it took the optimal route today which was impressive. Not that I cared for it, quite the winding 2 lane roads where twice a car stopped ahead of me on a 55 mph road getting my attention reminding me why I would prefer the highway which I'll take going home. But I digress...the Garmin was spot on with the routing today.

Today I did a drive from home (Midlothian, VA) to Luray, VA. I did a review yesterday to see how long of a drive to expect using google maps and noticed a route different than I've done in the past which typically remains highway 64 to 81. I've done this route a few times in the past, last time was with my Garmin 770. I was surprised to see today that the Garmin RV 890 used the same route google maps used which took me off I-64 through Gordonsville, VA. I recently updated the maps and keep the firmware updated.

So it took the optimal route today which was impressive. Not that I cared for it, quite the winding 2 lane roads where twice a car stopped ahead of me on a 55 mph road getting my attention reminding me why I would prefer the highway which I'll take going home. But I digress...the Garmin was spot on with the routing today.
So maybe a firmware and software update has helped? I sure hope so because I really like the many configuration options the 890 offers and I would like to become confident with it's directions.

Thanks for the update, @Neal !

Just bought an 890. Hope I am not getting “Neal Syndrome”, but I thought a back for the 780 would be wise. Don’t ever want to be stuck enroute with a broken gps, in a large rig.

No matter which gps you use, they all have their errors. After several ”adventures “ I have learned to always double check with Google maps or an equivalent.

I am a stereotypical male. I don't ask directions or follow the GPS routes. I take the road thay seem right and let the GPS figure out how to get there from here.

Usually it's Google maps that I am ignoring. Sometimes waze.

If it routed your through winding 2-lanes, and you prefer the highway, why do you say it was spot on?

If it routed your through winding 2-lanes, and you prefer the highway, why do you say it was spot on?
It followed my settings for fastest route. If I chose the option to prefer highways then I would have expected that. Moral is it picked the exact routing it should have. It is faster by 45 minutes over the highway route I'm guessing.

It followed my settings for fastest route. If I chose the option to prefer highways then I would have expected that. Moral is it picked the exact routing it should have. It is faster by 45 minutes over the highway route I'm guessing.
Ohhhhhh, yeah, faster isn't always better for us, too.

I am a stereotypical male. I don't ask directions or follow the GPS routes. I take the road thay seem right and let the GPS figure out how to get there from here.

Usually it's Google maps that I am ignoring. Sometimes waze.
I'm a planner, excessively so, but sometimes I screw up anyhow.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back