Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Yes they did, although it is basically the same size as the 780/785. I like the size, especially over the 785 which has that rugged case and camera which makes it too bulky.

I was on the Beta Test team for the 890, and still have one that I’ve been using over past months.

It’s Android based, which brings the usual challenges.

The mount is near PERFECT; a HUGE magnetic mount grabs the 890 like nobody’s business. And, of course, has the charge connections built in. The suction cup is solid, and they’ve improved the locking ball and arms to the point where the 890 NEVER has lost it’s position once locked down!

The speed is better, and the display is crisp and bright. The voice commands are accurate, and the feedback voice is very loud.

The above features, especially the mount, make it a great unit. IF you’re thinking that this is a huge step up over the 780, I think you’ll be underwhelmed. In my opinion and evaluation, the 890 is more of an evolutional update in terms of software and general operation.

This said, if you have the money to spend on a GPS, the 890 is a winner.

Attachments

• 58585CDB-E370-4A21-AC3F-66BF271A998C.jpeg
    58585CDB-E370-4A21-AC3F-66BF271A998C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
Yes they did, although it is basically the same size as the 780/785. I like the size, especially over the 785 which has that rugged case and camera which makes it too bulky.

I was on the Beta Test team for the 890, and still have one that I’ve been using over past months.

It’s Android based, which brings the usual challenges.

The mount is near PERFECT; a HUGE magnetic mount grabs the 890 like nobody’s business. And, of course, has the charge connections built in. The suction cup is solid, and they’ve improved the locking ball and arms to the point where the 890 NEVER has lost it’s position once locked down!

The speed is better, and the display is crisp and bright. The voice commands are accurate, and the feedback voice is very loud.

The above features, especially the mount, make it a great unit. IF you’re thinking that this is a huge step up over the 780, I think you’ll be underwhelmed. In my opinion and evaluation, the 890 is more of an evolutional update in terms of software and general operation.

This said, if you have the money to spend on a GPS, the 890 is a winner.

DANG! If it's that much better, guess I'll have to get one. At present, I have an RV770, which I like, but the bigger screen & new features may well be worth the purchase!
Now, how do I get it in the coach without "DW" wondering what I've bought now!:unsure:

Have they done any thing about the routing wanting you to go lots of mile out of the way just to stay on interstates ?

Have they done any thing about the routing wanting you to go lots of mile out of the way just to stay on interstates ?
Well, that’s such a broad question that I can’t answer it.

The 890’s routing engine isn’t perfect, but NONE of ANY GPS's are!

I’ve had to force a route by “shaping”.
I’ve had to reroute MY way.
I’ve modified routes to include Tolls, Faster, Shorter, etc.

But, one thing I always do, is examine the route ahead of time, if possible. If not, I’ll use Google, Apple, and RVTW as a cross-check.

That said, over the past 18 months and 17,000 miles, I can’t say the 785 or the 890 have kept me on Interstates longer than necessary.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Neal,
It is $100 OFF....not $100
The Black Friday Deal is $399.00 instead of $499.00.
Still a good deal!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Corrected. Thank you. Sorry, have to run, back to Amazon...

Bought this as a backup. Put some trips in it, but have not used it on the road. Naturally, it has a different power connector configuration than the 780LMT.

Many GPS units will take you off the interstate, down a secondary road, only to rejoin the interstate down the road. They calculate that as the fastest route. So, one needs to at least know the interstate connections in advance.I don’t know if this is to avoid know high traffic areas or what. Many times, I just stay on the interstate, if I know it connects directly to the next interstate. It eventually figures it out. However, the constant reminder to turn around, exit the highway, etc., in the interim can be annoying.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back