Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
@Neal - I read your post on the GE Advantium install. I have a few questions. For the additional 1/2” plywood backer board, I assume you just used a few wood screws to secure it to existing board behind the microwave? I’m thinking that the new mounting bracket would be attached to this board so I was wondering if there were metal studs behind the existing board that you tried hitting?

I see that I have about 8-10 screws driven from the inside of the top of the microwave into the board above the microwave. With the GE did you end up drilling down from the cabinet into the microwave cabinet instead of up like Newmar did? I read about being careful with drilling holes, but it was clear to me if you were installing screws into existing mounting holes at the top of the GE MW.

Lastly, given that your install was 5-6 years ago, would you still go with the Advantium if you were installing it today? I saw one of your posts about it no longer being an option on the build sheets. Is there something better out there now? Thanks.

For the additional 1/2” plywood backer board, I assume you just used a few wood screws to secure it to existing board behind the microwave? I’m thinking that the new mounting bracket would be attached to this board so I was wondering if there were metal studs behind the existing board that you tried hitting?
Yes, only wood screws, I don't know that you can see or locate the metal studs but when you remove your old Microwave you'll assess the situation and probably see just wood screws is needed. Nothing major needs to hold the backing board in place and you're going to install the Microwave wall mount onto this board.
With the GE did you end up drilling down from the cabinet into the microwave cabinet instead of up like Newmar did? I read about being careful with drilling holes, but it was clear to me if you were installing screws into existing mounting holes at the top of the GE MW.
Keep in mind in my coach above the microwave is nothing more than a spice container, there is no depth to drill down like in a residential install with a full cabinet depth typically above the Microwave. So the same mounting method needs to be done up the front of the microwave into the cabinets. Measure and analyze and take extreme caution.
Lastly, given that your install was 5-6 years ago, would you still go with the Advantium if you were installing it today? I saw one of your posts about it no longer being an option on the build sheets. Is there something better out there now?
From what I remember the GE Advantium's are just hard to source and I think that's the reason Newmar stopped, or presumably stopped offering them. I don't know if they still offer them now or not. If you can get one then YES, I highly recommend it and I'd get the same one again simply knowing how well it works. But I think anything would work better than the Whirlpool that came in mine. I got mine from Lowes.

Finally, as I may have mentioned in my write-up, if you can find something to put the Microwave on that elevates it that helps as I did mine by myself. I used the small ottoman's I have in my coach putting on top of a comforter on the counter to protect the counter. The hardest part is figuring out the level as the cabinets are not a good reference, I don't think they are squared up at the bottom, they may be built at an angle. You want it level so the door doesn't swing open or closed on you assuming your coach has a good level. I think it took me 3 attempts on mine.

Thanks for the added info. I tend to over analyze things, but more info is usually helpful in planning thing out. My cabinet above the MW is the same shallow cabinet. I have three weeks before hitting the road for the summer so it sounds like I need to get on the ball on finding a unit. Thanks again.

I ordered mine through Lowes. After the balloon fiesta @ARD and @Buly found them through Home Depot and we installed theirs at Ruidoso. I recommend getting the 3 year extended warranty with it.

@Neal When installing the Advantium oven, are the screw that go through the top of the microwave shell into the wood above limited to area that I show in red or did you take more of the microwave apart in order to spread the screws across the complete width of the microwave.

IMG_5915(1).jpg

I did not take anything apart further. I got screws wherever I could and compare to the old MW for reference. Look at location width etc so you don’t put a screw where you don’t want it.

Since the screws are an inch or so back, it seem a little difficult in getting the screws installed where the slots are. The existing screws have heads that are slightly wider than the slots, but I should be able to make them work. Figured it may be best to pre-drill the holes in the MW shell in order to help getting the screws started. Was concerned about screws falling into the area behind the slots and not being able to retrieve them without taking things totally apart. Sounds like you did spread the screws across the 30". Also since the vent trip at the top of the MW is secured by two screws on the top of the MW, looks like it may be difficult in getting those screws in the holes once the microwave is mounted

Just carefully analyze the depth and placement of the MW. Use your best judgment on how many screws and where. And the final element, when done, is use one of the zip ties with the screw eyelet to secure the plug to the wall otherwise it can vibrate out. Your original is probably zip tied in place if not removed yet.

Looking at your new MW it appears to have a July 2023 production date so that looks good, they're still making them.

I installed mine in January, yes @Neal it took me 3 years to bite the bullet😳. You need to make sure the unit is out far enough for door opens without interference. I did use the the bolts included with the unit and drilled down thru the the spice cabinet.

It only took me twice after knowing issues @Neal had. There isn’t anyway to use their template so it takes a lot of measuring to get the right reference for the mount located. I got mine too low the first time and needed to raise about an 1-11/2” to get the unit at the right height.

I got the MW installed this past week. A few tips.

- I pre-drilled holes on the top of the MW shell where I wanted the screws that secure the MW to the cabinet above. I think this made the installation easier as the screws wouldn't move around while trying to install the screw at an angle.

- I ended up adding two screws on the underside of the MW where it mounts to the wall. I added this to hold it in place in case it wanted to jump off the bracket while going down a bad road. The screws are in the space above the filters.

- I couldn't re-install the two screws that hold the vent cover on the front of the MW. Given that the MW shell only extended 1/2" past the front edge of the cabinet, I couldn't get the screws into the hole. I ended up using zip ties to hold the vent cover in place.

IMG_5934.jpg

Latest resources

Back