Coachmen
RV Model
Freedom Express 192RBS
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2018 Dodge POWER WAGON TOW
Fulltimer
No
What are some things you wish you needed when you started, that you had to learn later either through experience or "the hard way"?

We aren't "new" to camping but have never done more than a weekend and I am concerned about being far from anything and needing "something" and not being able to get it. We have a 11 day trip (just recalculated it...ELEVEN DAYS) coming up and I would like to minimize inconveniences as much as possible.

Sorry if I am posting too much...I'm just really digging the forum. :)

A memory foam mattress topper. We have the 3” one from Walmart.

A memory foam mattress topper. We have the 3” one from Walmart.

That’s a good one. :) we need a new one for the new trailer since it has a bigger bed.

If you don't have one, get a vacuum bagging system so you can buy meat in bulk, season it, maybe par cook some or all of it and then vacuum bag and freeze them. You can bag them in portion size so they'll be easy to defrost. You can pack like 10-15 days of meat in a small freezer (like mine) plus have room for all the veg and klondikes. Anything vacuum bagged packs much closer because the original packing is gone. I am thinking of getting another for the coach so when we're on extended trips.

If you don't have one, get a vacuum bagging system so you can buy meat in bulk, season it, maybe par cook some or all of it and then vacuum bag and freeze them. You can bag them in portion size so they'll be easy to defrost. You can pack like 10-15 days of meat in a small freezer (like mine) plus have room for all the veg and klondikes. Anything vacuum bagged packs much closer because the original packing is gone. I am thinking of getting another for the coach so when we're on extended trips.
We always remove meat from the original packaging and place in baggies to freeze. What is the added benefit from vacuum sealing over using baggies that you can squeeze the air out of? Let me be clear, I'm definitely not opposed to vacuuming, lol. I'm just curious. :)

Vacuum sealing significantly reduces freezer burn (dehydration), especially in meat. We have long used vacuum sealing for that reason.

TJ

Vacuum sealing significantly reduces freezer burn (dehydration), especially in meat. We have long used vacuum sealing for that reason.

TJ
SOLD!

OK, so now I need a vacuum sealer.... ? ? ?

We’ve got a FoodSaver also. Use it all the time for breaking down family packs of meat into meal-sized portions, same when we make mass quantites of chili, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, etc. No freezer burn...I recently found a steak in the bottom of our chest freezer that was 3 years old. Just as good as if I just froze it.

Latest resources

Back