• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Getting New GPS

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've been known to buck the system on occasion. I think it's part of the leaning process. ;)
I hope you had a short learning curve!!
NWIP, I expect it to be a great addition! All I have had was the lower end units.

The RV770 has done well by me. It's been very dependable.
I just bought the "traffic" cord, plugged it in, & it showed various traffic congestion to Tidewater Va, about 70 miles, & also I-95 North, to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, about 80 miles.
Hopefully it does well in a couple of weeks when we head back to St. Augustine Florida for a short visit.

I tried the "traffic" cord and it didn't work well for me, it's only really good in metropolitan areas. I use my smartphone instead. It's connected via Bluetooth to the Garmin app and once I get the route started I bring up live traffic so it talks to the Garmin and it does it's thing from there.

I have a question that you guys may be able to answer. Most of the time I don't have a route running on my GPS (I wing it a lot!). If you do not have a route running do you still get warnings for low clearances?

I have a question that you guys may be able to answer. Most of the time I don't have a route running on my GPS (I wing it a lot!). If you do not have a route running do you still get warnings for low clearances?
I would not trust the Garmin real-time low height warnings; there is always a time lag possibility. Having a GPS with low height warning capability is not a substitute for driver attention. When you are using a pre-determined route, the software has the opportunity to identify any low-height situations in advance and store them. In real-time, the software has to continually search. And, the database is not perfect.

We use the low-height warning function in our Garmin RV 760LMT for route planning, but not for real-time warnings.

TJ

I never said I would rely on it. I do know that they are not 100% accurate and to watch for signs.

I would not trust the Garmin real-time low height warnings; there is always a time lag possibility. Having a GPS with low height warning capability is not a substitute for driver attention. When you are using a pre-determined route, the software has the opportunity to identify any low-height situations in advance and store them. In real-time, the software has to continually search. And, the database is not perfect.

We use the low-height warning function in our Garmin RV 760LMT for route planning, but not for real-time warnings.

TJ

Mine has seemingly had a warning, like a " red triangle " pop up prior to the overpass or bridge!
Has caused no issues, BUT, I do always look at road signs, etc, while driving.
To me, attention to the road is 100% while driving!

My Chief Navigation Officer just received the brand new Garmin
. Now she has to set it up?‍♀️ I have nothing to worry about ?

You can add me to the “satisfied customer” list for the 770.

Latest resources

Back