Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awnings - Uncommanded deployments!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I don't know why Newmar has not wired these for ignition cutout like they do with the front/center TV.

Neal, the awnings are wired to the ignition. Newmar tested mine after the aft awning deployed at 65 mph.
I leave mine unplugged. I had to pay 1k for a new controller.

I like the concept of the remote plugs, but I will just stick with the mechanical outlet switches to remove any variables or potential failures which could result in a potential uncommanded awning deployment.

How would you add this failsafe to the door awning?? we don't have our coach yet with the door awning so not familiar with how that awning is controlled.

Neal, the awnings are wired to the ignition. Newmar tested mine after the aft awning deployed at 65 mph.
I leave mine unplugged. I had to pay 1k for a new controller.
The ignition cutout would only solve half the problem, some have had them deploy in garages, service centers, etc.

Back in around '19, North Trail had a new MA that deployed it's awning at the dealership, right into a new King Aire next to it. Costly.

I like the concept of the remote plugs, but I will just stick with the mechanical outlet switches to remove any variables or potential failures which could result in a potential uncommanded awning deployment.

How would you add this failsafe to the door awning?? we don't have our coach yet with the door awning so not familiar with how that awning is controlled.
On my coach the door awning and window awnings are standard old school wired switch to awning. (High line modles may have automation which would add another factor) The Girard awnings use RF to send the commands to a controller which then send power to the awning. In my view the Girard issue is most likely with the RF portion of the design, seems extremely unlikely there would be a uncommanded door or window awning deployment for coaches like mine with manual switches.

I have the Girard awnings on my 2021 Tiffin Red 33 AA. Now I have to go look in the bays to find out where they are plugged into an outlet?

Anyone have any ideas?

HH

Latest resources

Back