Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awnings - Uncommanded deployments!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
There was a post yesterday on the Facebook Newmar Owners Group for a 2022 King Aire that had an uncommanded Girard awning deployment while driving. This morning I went to capture the photos to share here but the post is down for some reason.

This is not a first time issue, there are numerous reports of uncommanded extension of Girard awnings. It is time for something to be done about this. I am not an owner with Girard awnings, my Carefree setup has a power on/off switch in the control panel at the entrance door (above) area. I hear Girard owners either unplug or install a switch setup in the basement where Girards get their power to avoid this. Not everyone knows about this situation and sadly this owner learned the hard way.

It is time someone files a NHTSA complaint to trigger a recall for all Girard awning equipped RV's. An awning separating at highway speeds can kill someone. On top of that I'd offer probably a need for a class action lawsuit for those that have had to pay for damages as a result of this. I believe Girard has been sold off to Lippert, smart on their part as they knew what was coming.

Please be aware of this, take action, and hopefully you all can get this solved once and for all and for all future owners.

Neal, you are absolutely correct and I installed switches on my Girard awnings for that exact reason.

As a former Honda dealer I see defects in these coaches that would never fly in the automotive world that would trigger a recall.

Other common safety failures are, backup cameras and 360 cameras burning out, front end on K3 Spartan Chassis which is costing owners thousands of dollars to repair correctly and cracked step rails on HWH steps which I have seen one fail and the steps collapsed.

On an automobile these would be all be considered safety items but nothing seems to ever happen in the RV world. I am on my 4th camera replacment in 3.5 years and I am filing with the NHTSA.

@Neal ... I saw that post as well and quickly ordered two (2) of these so I can turn the awnings off when we are traveling. I guess we have been really lucky so far.

Amazon product ASIN B07HPG7GG7
FLSteve (y)

I have a smart outlet that works with your phone to turn off.

One benefit is you can verify its off while driving.

Regardless how you do it, unplug or disable the awnings anytime they are not in use
Especially in your garage or while driving

Apparently Newmar has known about this issue for awhile!!

Apparently Newmar has known about this issue for awhile!!

That was my original design for my 2019 dsdp. For the LA, I went the easier route with a wifi switch. Less wiring and has proven just as reliable.

Regardless how you do it, unplug or disable the awnings anytime they are not in use
Just read this, I now unplug them when not in use, plugs are easy access, something to add to my pulling away day routine

That was my original design for my 2019 dsdp. For the LA, I went the easier route with a wifi switch. Less wiring and has proven just as reliable.
I think I’ll follow your lead here and install a WiFi enabled switch as well. Much more convenient.

IMG_3458.jpeg

To me, this is the easiest way to keep control of the Girard awnings. One of the benefits is you can turn them off when deployed and they stay out as it doesn’t take much of a wind gust to send them back in. I never leave the awnings out if I’m not with the coach, obviously. These switches are always off while traveling or in storage or while away from the coach.

Latest resources

Back