Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
A bit off topic but there appears to be a number of knowledgeable folks here so I'll ask...

Being a radio nerd of sorts, I'd like to get a capable scanner to monitor local Government Services and General Communications channels. Looking at a Uniden SDS200 which has a very complete range of tools and frequencies.

Any suggestions?

Most law enforcement, border patrol, large city fire departments, paramedics etc radio systems are now digital, much more secure and private than the old analog radios. I'm not sure if an "off the shelf" scanner is capable of hearing the newer trunked digital systems? Analog scanners will still pick up aircraft, some fire, public works, some ambulance and railroad radio comms. I can sometimes hear analog fire dept. dispatch with my HT on 70cm and two years ago, we were camped near a large active forest fire listening to the fire control center directing water bombers and ground crews on 70cm. Using an HT of course requires the appropriate FCC (or reciprocal ITU) license.

We had one that did pick up the trunked systems. Was programmable when they changed frequencies.

Been thinking of a new one as well. Actually have a couple free apps on my phone that will pickup police, fire, ambulance, etc.

The SDS200 listens to P25+ trunk signals. It is a highend radio and SDR (software defined radio) capable unit.
Unfortunately the learning curve is quite steep.

Most agencies have gone encrypted. Not much to listen to anymore. I had multiple high end scanners. Just fancy paper weights now.

Even many ambulances now use cell phones instead of radios. The public is now in the dark.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back