Rockwood
RV Model
Geo Pro
RV Length
20 ft
Chassis
?
Hey folks I'm new here...as in today.
Bought a 2021 Geo Pro 20' travel trailer that I pull with my 20' pickup.

My 13 year old car GPS is on its way out so I'm looking for an RV specific model. Seems that only a few models allow for specifying separate truck and travel trailer lengths.
In order to save $100 or more, what length should I tell the GPS my RV is for my setup?
Thanks in advance.

- Bob

I like the Garmin RV 1090.
You put your vehicle type and size in and it will direct you accordingly. You can have dozens of points of interest, guesstimated fuel range, etc, etc. More infor than you will probably ever need.

I'm a huge fan of the Garmin RV 890, some use the larger 1090. It has a profile feature to allow you to input dimensions.

Thanks Neal.
I don't see a Travel Trailer pick on the screen that Garmin shows online. The RV 795 does show it between the Car and Motorhome picks so it makes me concerned that I don't see the pick on others.
To be honest I don't see the need to spend over $400 on a GPS. I guess you can color me frugal. However, if the extra change is worth it I suppose I'll bend.
I'll put the 890 on my list.

Thanks Neal.
I don't see a Travel Trailer pick on the screen that Garmin shows online. The RV 795 does show it between the Car and Motorhome picks so it makes me concerned that I don't see the pick on others.
To be honest I don't see the need to spend over $400 on a GPS. I guess you can color me frugal. However, if the extra change is worth it I suppose I'll bend.
I'll put the 890 on my list.
I think this question if a RV specific GPS is needed - is a valid question.

For me the 3 reasons to have an RV specific GPS are:
- Are there any overpasses that are too low for my height?
- Are there any bridges that have a weight limit that I will exceed?
- Are there any tunnels that I should be concerned about? (since many of them prohibit propane in the tunnel)

If a trailer height was “low”, didn’t have a heavy trailer and didn’t carry propane - then I would skip the RV GPS. But since I care about 2 of these 3 items, I use a RV GPS.

I like the Garmin RV 1090.
You put your vehicle type and size in and it will direct you accordingly. You can have dozens of points of interest, guesstimated fuel range, etc, etc. More infor than you will probably ever need.
Thanks for the tip Dan. Also sounds good but the screen seems too big for me.

I think this question if a RV specific GPS is needed - is a valid question.

For me the 3 reasons to have an RV specific GPS are:
- Are there any overpasses that are too low for my height?
- Are there any bridges that have a weight limit that I will exceed?
- Are there any tunnels that I should be concerned about? (since many of them prohibit propane in the tunnel)

If a trailer height was “low”, didn’t have a heavy trailer and didn’t carry propane - then I would skip the RV GPS. But since I care about 2 of these 3 items, I use a RV GPS.
Thanks for the reminder Mem.
Towed x-country earlier this year and had my Rand McNally truck maps with me for that reason. Will definitely be getting an RV specific unit this time.

We have a 1090 in the MH and love it but in a pickup it might be over kill. Garmin 780 and up would be my recommendation.

Think about RV Life. A computer version and a smart phone app. You put in your RV dimensions and it guides you around any hazards. A lot lower price than a separate unit. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
We have traveled thousands of miles with .. and without... RV specific GPS. Your question made me think about whether it's worth it.
When we took our first trip in this RV, I laid out our route using Google maps and since we always stick to big-rig campgrounds, and as big a highway as we can find, preferably interstates, we don't worry about big-rig obstacles. I also use RV trip-planning apps - Those route you around tunnels, ferries, low overpasses, etc.
We now have the Garman 890 (I found the screen too big on the 1090) - I like big screens but I have no trouble seeing the screen on the 890.
HOWEVER Sometimes that thing will try to route us in some weird route. But Google maps seems to make the same errors. The Channing, Texas route is especially puzzling - detour to (very narrow, shoulderless) 354 and not much better 387 - why not continue US-87 ? We've done both routes - US 87 is far superior....did Channing Texas bribe Google maps to get traffic? 🤣
I do like having the big screen while traveling, but I don't find it any more useful than my cell phone and the apps. because I always plan out every trip anyhow, using trip planning apps and carefully perusing the route and destinations with Google Earth.
Oh yeah, the RV GPS will sometimes audibly warn you of curves. Not always. I think they are also capable of warning you have traffic jams and steep grades. I consider them worth it for the big screens and the audible warnings. I jlike to have a dedicated device but I don't fully trust it.

Latest resources

Back