• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Happy Camper tank treatment - Testing fail

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I can't believe you have seen bubbles . You are not supposed to use the entire bottle.

By the way too much Dawn dries out the seals on the dump valves. A little food grease is good for these.
I lubricate them periodically with WD40 SILICONE.

Bubbles. I just don't know.

If you're not getting bubbles while driving you're not putting enough in!

Ok, I am going to repeat with a 7 day test and larger dose.

I will also do another with nothing but water for same time, and a 3rd with @Neal's idea of Cascade/Dawn...I am very curious now.
Now, I'm curious. Can't wait to hear about the outcome.

I am going to listen to Don Ho when I try this.

Tiny bubbles (tiny bubbles)
In the wine (in the wine)
Make me happy (make me happy)
Make me feel fine (make me feel fine)
Tiny bubbles (tiny bubbles)
Make me warm all over
With a feeling that I'm gonna
Love you till the end of time

This thread made me curious, so I tried a strictly observational study with no controls or any scientific method whatsoever. Our Papillion was a bit of my inspiration for trying a better test.
I took a couple large mouthed 16 oz water bottles and added a few sq of toilet paper in each with about 4 oz of water. In one bottle I added maybe 1/8 scoop of Happy Camper, (HC). I let them sit for a couple hours and observed no difference. Later I added 4-6 oz. of water to the HC bottle and a few oz. of dog poop. I gave the bottle 2 firm shakes to simulate a flushing action, and let it sit a few hours. In the bottle without HC, I did the same. There was no distinguishable difference between the bottles. Sorry, I didn't have the motivation to perform an odor test!

HC is expensive. I'm not sure it's worth the investment vs just using odor control, like Camco TST Ultra from Walmart. It's pretty cheap and super easy. I just can't see that HC is doing any additional work to break down the solids vs plain old water. Or maybe Dawn or Cascade is sufficient vs TST to save even more.

My pb test failed so far. I used 1/4 scoop.

The control with dawn did much better on pb, causing it to slide down and collect on bottom. Didn't dissolve, but did a great job cleaning sidewalls.

I wonder if my batch of hc, which I purchased just recently is inert?

I wonder if my batch of hc, which I purchased just recently is inert?

I have a hunch it's inert by design, it's a gimmick. I'd also suggest those treating an odor, have you experienced an odor and does adding anything correct it? Many are adding something to treat a problem that doesn't exist, i.e. properly ventilated system shouldn't have an odor in the house. Also be sure to keep all sinks "wet" so p-traps have water in them to block air coming up a pipe, same as in a S&B. I have to deliberately use my half bath sink to do just this as it's not one I typically use.

I agree. Like I said earlier, never had a problem with smells, clogs, or any other issues. I bought this thinking it was doing something to help maintain.

It is a gimmick. Thankfully I purchased on Amazon, and will be returning with a link to my testing.

I agree. Like I said earlier, never had a problem with smells, clogs, or any other issues. I bought this thinking it was doing something to help maintain.

It is a gimmick. Thankfully I purchased on Amazon, and will be returning with a link to my testing.
Well I guess I won't be wasting money on HC from now on.

Latest resources

Back