RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Flair, 34R
RV Length
34'
Fulltimer
No
I'm looking at purchasing a street-legal dirt bike that weighs 328 pounds. Is this something I can haul on the back of our 05 Fleetwood Flair via the receiver hitch?

How can I look up how much leverage that receiver hitch can hold?

Should be OK up to 500 lbs on your Class III hitch. (I'm assuming that's what you have) If you have a Class I or Class II hitch it may be pushing it a bit. But I can't imagine they would put a lessor hitch on a Motorhome. Now, find a sturdy motorcycle carrier with a convenient ramp. Have fun.

Should be OK up to 500 lbs on your Class III hitch. (I'm assuming that's what you have) If you have a Class I or Class II hitch it may be pushing it a bit. But I can't imagine they would put a lessor hitch on a Motorhome. Now, find a sturdy motorcycle carrier with a convenient ramp. Have fun.
Yes, class III.
Awesome. Thank you!

Couple thoughts. I'm using a Versahaul for example.
The carrier weighs about 100 lbs itself. Plus the 328 lbs motorcycle gives you 428 lbs 2 feet from the hitch. That will apply 856 ft lbs of torque to the hitch. This is multiplied an unknown amount going over bumps.

Considering the carrier is probably about 2 feet above the ground, are you capable of pushing the 328 lbs motorcycle up the ramp? Remember, you'll loose a lot of leverage on the handle bars the higher you get. May not be an issue if you have a helper.

I know a lot of people do it, but I'm not a fan of these carriers unless it's on the back of a Diesel pusher or bus.

Couple thoughts. I'm using a Versahaul for example.
The carrier weighs about 100 lbs itself. Plus the 328 lbs motorcycle gives you 428 lbs 2 feet from the hitch. That will apply 856 ft lbs of torque to the hitch. This is multiplied an unknown amount going over bumps.

Considering the carrier is probably about 2 feet above the ground, are you capable of pushing the 328 lbs motorcycle up the ramp? Remember, you'll loose a lot of leverage on the handle bars the higher you get. May not be an issue if you have a helper.

I know a lot of people do it, but I'm not a fan of these carriers unless it's on the back of a Diesel pusher or bus.
Good thoughts there. Was just pondering that same thing...getting it up on the few carriers I looked at. I would have my wife to help; but we will definitely have to work out that issue.

I'm looking at purchasing a street-legal dirt bike that weighs 328 pounds. Is this something I can haul on the back of our 05 Fleetwood Flair via the receiver hitch? I've seen the carnage caused by a similar, non modified set up. Not something I would do without reinforcing the 2 " receiver and the frame where it's attached. There will be considerably more stress on the structure (welds) compared to towing a trailer supported on its own wheels.

How can I look up how much leverage that receiver hitch can hold? Too many variables and application specific. This is probably not something you could determine for your needs without structural or mechanical engineering experience.
I'd hate to be the guy behind you when it breaks free from the receiver but my lawyer would have a field day!

I'd hate to be the guy behind you when it breaks free from the receiver but my lawyer would have a field day!
Is that a common enough occurrence to be concerned about? That certainly doesn't sound good.

the Ultimate MX Hauler is a hydraulic lift carrier for a receiver hitch,

the unit weighs 60lbs and can support up to a 375lb dirt bike.

the bike is bolted and strapped to the carrier:

I have a friend that has one attached to the rear of his toy hauler travel trailer, been using in for several years driving from CA to Lake Havasu and even FL without issue.

Last edited:
Towed a 16,000lb boat with a tongue weight exceeding that of your motorcycle with a Class III hitch. If you get a carrier rated for that weight, IMHO your hitch will handle it. But as stated above, there are plenty of lawyers out there looking for their "field day" 🤔

Latest resources

Back