• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Haul a dirt bike on the receiver hitch?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have been waiting patently for someone to bring up the other flaw with this idea!!!

Did you know how an RV obtains a rear axle at the location its centered, and so much hanging behind said axle???

Of course I am responding to this thread because the rv is likely a gasser.

Well they extend the frame!!! Thats right!!! Get your work duds out and slide under and look how crafty they are.

I wouldn't think of bringing this up, but I have heard horror stories about the frame breaking at that splice, due to loading a scooter on the back. Is it true? I don't know!!!

I have been waiting patently for someone to bring up the other flaw with this idea!!!

Did you know how an RV obtains a rear axle at the location its centered, and so much hanging behind said axle???

Well they extend the frame!!! Thats right!!! Get your work duds out and slide under and look how crafty they are.

I wouldn't think of bringing this up, but I have heard horror stories about the frame breaking at that splice, due to loading a scooter on the back. Is it true? I don't know!!!

yeah that bus has a huge overhang at the rear.

I wonder if a hitch installed at the front would work? I did that on my 2010 Chevy Truck as to carry my e-bikes, 2 bikes @ 90 lbs each, plus carrier, was about 280lbs. but big difference on a Chevy truck vs. a RV buss

yeah that bus has a huge overhang at the rear.

I wonder if a hitch installed at the front would work? I did that on my 2010 Chevy Truck as to carry my e-bikes, 2 bikes @ 90 lbs each, plus carrier, was about 280lbs. but big difference on a Chevy truck vs. a RV buss
My choice would be a harbor freight trailer. It's not the weight, it's the constant torque that is applied with every dip or bump in the road.

Lots to digest on this topic...but listen...if you want to haul your bike on the back of your motorhome, it CAN be done. If you are concerned about any of the above, find an agricultural fabricator and ask him to "beef" up your hitch. Believe me, he (or she 😉) will transform your hitch so that you can haul three lawyers looking to have a field day! Don't be discouraged...your idea is certainly "doable".

Ken, totally agree I would only feel comfortable if those splits were reinforced and gusseted. A friend of mine had an older gasser that the frame on its own sagged in the rear and it was the frame flexing at the split.

My old gasser did indeed get its frame cut and extended when it was built. But...I've inspected that split and it's like midway in the frame. So if were ever a problem, the coach would be sagging in the middle and I can't imagine whatever I had on the hitch to be a factor. On mine anyway...1993 F53, 38 feet long with a drop axle.

To Kevin's point, the forces involved in hanging effectively a pendulum on your hitch may introduce a load that the hitch/frame was not designed to handle.

At the very least, I'd plan to get dirty and scout the frame extension welds, connection area closely, and if you proceed with mounting motorized bikes, on a regular basis.

Not sure how common it is to hang motorbikes off a trailer hitch, found only one story on the Web about a Class C frame extension failure. But that failure could be due to any number of factors, corrosion, other abuse, etc. You might search on the brand of mount you are considering for stories.

Here is a video on point, to give an idea of some frame extension quality. This particular welding on the frame in this Video is downright scary, in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back