Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Suggestion Having problem with factory NAV losing GPS signal?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MarkMaxPayne

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
I was in the rig today taking photos for my final warranty todo list for my service visit in a few days and found the GPS receiver puck thanks to the suggestion of a forum member. Instead on being on the roof as I had assumed (previous rig and the Sirius up top of front cap) it was simply tossed under the dash near the front windshield with its magnetic mount hanging onto the dash AC/Heater box.

No wonder the stupid thing doesn't work half the time. They took an external GPS antennae and lazily tossed it up to the front of the dash under the removeble access panel. Ugh.

I had installed a Carpuride Android Auto / Apple Air Play display because I had become so sick and tired of the factory NAV saying "GPS signal lost" or "Looking for GPS signal".

At my service appointment I am going to ask that this GPS antenna puck gets installed on the roof where it belongs...

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20240413_105431.jpg
    20240413_105431.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
@MarkMaxPayne ... anyway you can post a picture of what you are referring to. I am having the same issue and need to look for that receiver puck in my dash.

FLSteve

@MarkMaxPayne ... anyway you can post a picture of what you are referring to. I am having the same issue and need to look for that receiver puck in my dash.

FLSteve
It looks something like this (ignore the connector on this "stock photo"). I took off the top access cover of my dash (velcro-ed on) and saw that thin wire coming out of the head unit. Traced it about a foot or so where the dash approaches the center of the windshield (below where the MobileEye is attached to the glass) and its magnetic bottom was stuck to the side of a metal box. This wire to the antenna puck normally runs up one of the A pilars and out a hole on top of the front cap. Instead of running the wire correctly and sealing around the hole and the antenna with sealant I guess they decided tossing it under the dash was "good enough".

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240413_191033_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_191033_Opera.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 4
GPS antenna under the dash is done quite common from what I researched and this is where I put mine when I upgraded my ancient Clarion unit with a Pioneer. No issues. Also note my Garmin 890 is on the dash and I don't have issues with that either. So my guess is something else is a problem and not the antenna being under the dash.

The problem with the roof mounted exposed antennas is they will corrode as mine are doing now. They do dicor around it, I would suggest new owners cover the antennas in dicor completely.

Under the dash may not matter.

We were having them work on ours while at the factory last year. The ones in the Superstar are roof mounted.

For testing they hooked up another gps antenna and had it in the passenger seat while driving around. That worked just fine.

Latest resources

Back