• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

AAPilotJames3

RVF Newbee
Hi everybody,
I got on here to start learning more about camping with an RV. Trying to decode what to buy, a towable RV or a Motor Home. Both seem to have pros and cons. Trying to get a feel for what you all think the best/worst of each is. Thanks!

James

Best bang for buck, is probably a towable (assuming you already have something that can tow it). Fo instance, if you buy a 40' RV, you get 40' livable space, but if you get a 40' MH, part of that is driving cabin, engine, etc.

However, for us, a MH is a much better fit, as my wife doesn't like to go for long drives in a car, and with a MH, she can get up and stretch her legs, go to the bathroom, etc. Plus, we have three standard poodles, so there is more room for them. She will get up, make lunch, bring me snacks, etc., and we can make quick bathroom breaks for me, or as we did this trip, planned a rest area stop and fuel stop, between camp grounds, which is often enough stopping for me, with her being able to use the bathroom whenever she wants. With a towable, we would be stopping more often and for longer.

Another advantage of a towable is not having to find someplace willing to work on the chassis. That's not always the simplest thing, especially for diesels, but even for some gassers.

Best bang for buck, is probably a towable (assuming you already have something that can tow it). Fo instance, if you buy a 40' RV, you get 40' livable space, but if you get a 40' MH, part of that is driving cabin, engine, etc.

However, for us, a MH is a much better fit, as my wife doesn't like to go for long drives in a car, and with a MH, she can get up and stretch her legs, go to the bathroom, etc. Plus, we have three standard poodles, so there is more room for them. She will get up, make lunch, bring me snacks, etc., and we can make quick bathroom breaks for me, or as we did this trip, planned a rest area stop and fuel stop, between camp grounds, which is often enough stopping for me, with her being able to use the bathroom whenever she wants. With a towable, we would be stopping more often and for longer.

Another advantage of a towable is not having to find someplace willing to work on the chassis. That's not always the simplest thing, especially for diesels, but even for some gassers.
Thanks. Very helpful

Because I already have a truck, to me a MH is an extra drivetrain that I have to maintain. We also like to go out hiking and exploring when we're camping so we'd still need a TOAD if we had a MH. I suppose if you were just going to sit at the campground and not go anywhere, a MH without a TOAD might be slightly more maneuverable, depending on size (but it may not).

Because I already have a truck, to me a MH is an extra drivetrain that I have to maintain. We also like to go out hiking and exploring when we're camping so we'd still need a TOAD if we had a MH. I suppose if you were just going to sit at the campground and not go anywhere, a MH without a TOAD might be slightly more maneuverable, depending on size (but it may not).
Personally, I couldn't imagine traveling in a MH without a toad (Wrangler).

Just for clarity: the term "RV" includes diesel pushers, Class As, Class Bs, Class Cs, pickup campers, fifth wheels, travel trailers, popup trailers, and any other kind of recreational vehicle designed for camping.

I have owned MH, pull trailer, and 5th wheel.
It is about preference, but this is my take. MH! Like stated above, the passenger could tend to the driver's needs while moving. As tempting as this sounds when you become aware of a friend's wife that took a fall while doing that stunt, and resulting in a hospital visit! The temptation quickly subsides. For the record my sweetheart got pretty well bruised up that way before we learned. The MH does have advantages in convenience, but have you visited places like San Francisco without a toad?

A TT or pull trailer: KISS! Small is more fun! 20 and under opens up places larger rigs can't go! However, the tow vehicle can visit everywhere wheels are allowed. This makes larger acceptable. Typically pull trailers have less frontal area and that translates is to better fuel economy. Loaded properly are as safe as any RV.
ONE MORE THING!!!
Any vehicle rated to tow this type trailer, can!!! Even a U-haul can get it from point A to point B.

5TH WHEEL!:
modern fifths have a bunch of frontal area. Read above!

Require trucks setup for them. 8 ft. Wide, they require back lot parking as closer spots are for economy cars. I tried to rent a truck with a hitch in bed and couldn't find one. Actually I have two trucks with the hitch, but not everyone does. I have an older 5th!!! As stated earlier, back when people preferred common sense over comfort. Frontal area was much the same as a pull trailer. My rig is 26ft. The box is 20 and the bed(not bedroom) is six. Did I mention that 3 to 5 ft. Of A pull trailer is tongue? Your state may charge accordingly.

I have owned MH, pull trailer, and 5th wheel.
It is about preference, but this is my take. MH! Like stated above, the passenger could tend to the driver's needs while moving. As tempting as this sounds when you become aware of a friend's wife that took a fall while doing that stunt, and resulting in a hospital visit! The temptation quickly subsides. For the record my sweetheart got pretty well bruised up that way before we learned. The MH does have advantages in convenience, but have you visited places like San Francisco without a toad?

A TT or pull trailer: KISS! Small is more fun! 20 and under opens up places larger rigs can't go! However, the tow vehicle can visit everywhere wheels are allowed. This makes larger acceptable. Typically pull trailers have less frontal area and that translates is to better fuel economy. Loaded properly are as safe as any RV.
ONE MORE THING!!!
Any vehicle rated to tow this type trailer, can!!! Even a U-haul can get it from point A to point B.

5TH WHEEL!:
modern fifths have a bunch of frontal area. Read above!

Require trucks setup for them. 8 ft. Wide, they require back lot parking as closer spots are for economy cars. I tried to rent a truck with a hitch in bed and couldn't find one. Actually I have two trucks with the hitch, but not everyone does. I have an older 5th!!! As stated earlier, back when people preferred common sense over comfort. Frontal area was much the same as a pull trailer. My rig is 26ft. The box is 20 and the bed(not bedroom) is six. Did I mention that 3 to 5 ft. Of A pull trailer is tongue? Your state may charge accordingly.
What you didn't mention is a 5th wheel tends to be more stable and nicer to tow than a bumper pull.

In the end you have to make tradeoffs that make sense to you.

The first thing to figure out is "Am I the camping type"? Some people romanticize the perceived experience and then when reality hits... it's just not their thing. If you're not sure that camping is for you, consider renting a MH or if you have a properly equipped tow vehicle perhaps a used towable. There are also rental places that'll drop a TT in a campground for your use.

What do you want to do when you get there?
  • I have friends who like to take their MH to RV parks and just hang out, or visit family. It's just a home on wheels and they always manage to find other transportation when needed.
  • We do a lot of boondocking, so bringing our Jeep/motorcycles or bicycles allows us to explore in places you wouldn't want to take a full size pickup/SUV
  • If you like getting into the rough back country, a slide in camper on a 4wd pickup can often make sense.
If you find yourself vacillating between options, I'd recommend writing down the trade offs/pros/cons of each option. I have literally found myself forgetting a really solid reason to not go some particular direction. When there are dozens (if not hundreds) of considerations.. thing can slip through ;-)

Good luck! And don't think for a minute that you'll land on the perfect setup first time....

Latest resources

Back