Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

countryflyboy

RVF Regular
My name is Jason. I am looking to purchase a smaller travel trailer in the near future. I only have a half ton pickup truck to pull it and I am interested in the single axle TT's that are around the 17 foot range with a dry weight of 3-4 thousand pounds. I have only been to one RV lot thus far to actually look at them. I saw 3 different manufactory models I believe.. Can you guys tell me which brands are the best bang for the buck in that size category?

Welcome to the group. My recommendation is stay under your max tow capacity, I think you are on track with that. If I were shopping, I would look at used right now. Over the past few years a lot of RVs hit the market and they are starting to hit the used market. Look at RV trader.com to get a good idea on how they are priced. You may find something there to purchase.

Hire an inspector wether you are buying new or used, yes even new ( my recommendation).
There is no better brand, they will all have issues and they will all depreciate. Find what works for you.

You will serve your self well if you are able to do your own maintenance, at least some of it. Keep in mind things will go wrong. Good luck in your search.

Welcome to the group. My recommendation is stay under your max tow capacity, I think you are on track with that. If I were shopping, I would look at used right now. Over the past few years a lot of RVs hit the market and they are starting to hit the used market. Look at RV trader.com to get a good idea on how they are priced. You may find something there to purchase.

Hire an inspector wether you are buying new or used, yes even new ( my recommendation).
There is no better brand, they will all have issues and they will all depreciate. Find what works for you.

You will serve your self well if you are able to do your own maintenance, at least some of it. Keep in mind things will go wrong. Good luck in your search.
Thanks for your input John! I had no idea you could get an inspector like you do when you're buying a house! I get a lot of info from my father but he's a class A Winnebago owner which is not in the TT realm lol. He does most of the work on it himself unless it comes to engine or chassis issues that require large machinery or lifts. I'm glad you mentioned the new/used question. I was very wary of looking into the used market because lord knows who had it before and how many additional issues would pop up. I have only been to one place to actually look at TT's so far and had a bad experience there. The salesman was just desperate to sell off a used coleman before the week was over. He wasn't very helpful at all, quintessential used car salesman type.

Latest resources

Back