Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

scottbote

RVF Newbee
Is the keystone high country a good fifth wheel trailer? It's one of the cheaper ones I found with room for a washer and dryer. First time buyer trying to pay all cash otd with a budget of about 60k. Figured I could find a used high country easly for that price or walk in to the dealership and put the 60k on the table.

I believe Keystone has some good brands. Montana has been a solid name for several years. My question is about the money part. THIS IS NOT PICKING A FIGHT. I am always curious about the "finance vs cash" conversation. Over the years I have been involved is several conversations about this sometimes touchy subject. Loans are my business (full disclosure) so understanding both sides is always a good thing.
There are 2 very distinct sides to this conversation. The main thing here is they are OPININONS, not cold hard facts. One side says, don't spend an "appreciating asset" (like cash) on a "depreciating asset" (like an RV). This includes things like RIO in existing funds especially in good return years like we are in now. Loan rates are very reasonable for solid credit people so out earning the loan rates is not that difficult. The other side says, never pay interest on something like an RV. I do understand that 0% interest is a great deal.
Very important to understand I am not a fan of minimum payments. Long term loans just set the minimum payment and should never be all that is paid each month. I have never met a person who made 180 minimum payments on any RV loan.
Just a conversation looking for info.
Remember, I opened with NOT PICKING A FIGHT.
Have a good day.
Ken

I believe Keystone has some good brands. Montana has been a solid name for several years. My question is about the money part. THIS IS NOT PICKING A FIGHT. I am always curious about the "finance vs cash" conversation. Over the years I have been involved is several conversations about this sometimes touchy subject. Loans are my business (full disclosure) so understanding both sides is always a good thing.
There are 2 very distinct sides to this conversation. The main thing here is they are OPININONS, not cold hard facts. One side says, don't spend an "appreciating asset" (like cash) on a "depreciating asset" (like an RV). This includes things like RIO in existing funds especially in good return years like we are in now. Loan rates are very reasonable for solid credit people so out earning the loan rates is not that difficult. The other side says, never pay interest on something like an RV. I do understand that 0% interest is a great deal.
Very important to understand I am not a fan of minimum payments. Long term loans just set the minimum payment and should never be all that is paid each month. I have never met a person who made 180 minimum payments on any RV loan.
Just a conversation looking for info.
Remember, I opened with NOT PICKING A FIGHT.
Have a good day.
Ken
Lol! I love how many times you reiterated that you weren’t picking a fight. Still, I imagine some people are going to get defensive or well- pick a fight.

I have always purchased with loans. Our first trailer that my husband and I bought, we actually went into the dealership with cash and walked out of there having paid a down payment with a loan instead. Literally the only reason we were going to pay cash was because we could, not because we were opposed to taking out a loan.

I don’t know why some people get so bent out of shape about loans when they are good for your credit. That’s the main reason my husband and I buy everything with loans. We also pay everything off early. Because we have always used loans responsibly, I could literally walk in anywhere and buy just about anything on a loan.

I would hate to be the person that might actually need to take out a loan some day, and isn’t able to because they had no payment history and no credit history whatsoever because they paid cash for everything.

It happens on our marine side more than with RVs. We have guys sinking $$ into 30 year old boats because they will not borrow for anything nicer. Camping and boating are much more fun with something that works and having some cash left over to spend a little on the way.
Ken

It happens on our marine side more than with RVs. We have guys sinking $$ into 30 year old boats because they will not borrow for anything nicer. Camping and boating are much more fun with something that works and having some cash left over to spend a little on the way.
Ken
As a consumer, I couldn’t agree more.

Please notice that no one suggested Forest River. Proceed with caution. Read forums.

I'd take this in a different direction. I would investigate Brands with regards to customer service and customer satisfaction. None will be perfect. Some are better than others, and you will need customer service and factory support in the lifetime usage of your RV. Just like auto manufactures, different lines have price points established to gain market share. The vehicles are build to achieve those price points and the equipment/ trim/ build quality is designed around that strategy.

All this just gets you to the place where you find your RV. Now, you need to inspect that specific unit. No matter the brand, level, perceived quality, or industry reputation. The best manufacture has lemons, and the worst manufacture can deliver a trouble free unit occasionally. Knowing the actual condition of the unit you are paying for is what is critical.

Best of luck

I'd take this in a different direction. I would investigate Brands with regards to customer service and customer satisfaction. None will be perfect. Some are better than others, and you will need customer service and factory support in the lifetime usage of your RV. Just like auto manufactures, different lines have price points established to gain market share. The vehicles are build to achieve those price points and the equipment/ trim/ build quality is designed around that strategy.

All this just gets you to the place where you find your RV. Now, you need to inspect that specific unit. No matter the brand, level, perceived quality, or industry reputation. The best manufacture has lemons, and the worst manufacture can deliver a trouble free unit occasionally. Knowing the actual condition of the unit you are paying for is what is critical.

Best of luck
As a consumer, I couldn’t agree more.
One thing on Forums if you list to many problems forums tend to consider it a “RANT” and will delete your posts.

Is the keystone high country a good fifth wheel trailer? It's one of the cheaper ones I found with room for a washer and dryer. First time buyer trying to pay all cash otd before you buy

a budget of about 60k. Figured I could find a used high country easly for that price or walk in to the dealership and put the 60k on the table.
So your question got bypass. Find what you can. Make sure everything works before you buy. Study the structure for problems.

Now about the fiat. Every time another stupid spending bill is passed your fiat becomes worth less, Or as some are saying "more worthless ". I personally am stacking. I figure in a year, what I could have paid cash for, my stash will pay off with a large bonus in my hands.

This should not be looked at as a recommendation, and should it take more time, I can afford to keep up the payments. For sure my stack will keep it's value

Latest resources

Back