Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bestgram

RVF Newbee
Hello! I appreciate this forum especially for us newbies. We have had truck campers for 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed camping in them. We decided to buy a travel trailer which changes so many things. One question I have is do you recommend running a bleach solution through the fresh water tank each year? The trailer we bought is 2007 Jayco 186 and the man who sold it lied about many things so we aren't sure of the condition of things. I've read pros and cons about sanitizing the fresh water system. What do you do?

Sanitizing your fresh water tank is a (very) good idea. Although I have always used Chlorine bleach to flush my tanks, I have been educated recently (by members on this site) that the practice may have some negative implications (to the tank). Perhaps there are some better products available. Welcome, and I hope you find some useful advice on this site...I know I have!

3-4 drops of bleach to 1 gal. water is a disinfectant than can be used for drinking from a questionable water source. I wouldn't hesitate to use that ratio for the fresh water system.

We don't drink or cook with the water from the fresh water tank period. But regardless of that, I have been putting a cup of bleach in my fresh water tank every spring for the last 20 years (3 different RV's) just to make sure nothing is growing in there. I put the cup of bleach in and fill the water tank to the top (40 gallon tank) and let it sit for 24 hours. After that I run all the faucets until I smell the bleach. Then flush it all out and rinse with a full tank (yes it's about 80 gallons of water total, the wife yells at me every year) I've never had any problems.
Make sure you use pure chlorine bleach only.
Also, I empty the water tank after every trip as I don't think it's a good idea to leave water sitting in there when your RV is not in use.

1/4 cup (2oz) of UNCENTED household bleach in 10 gallons of water will give you in the range of 50-80 ppm of sanitizing solution. This is what you might see behind a bar where they dip glasses after they have been washed and then allowed to air dry. I would not hesitate to double that amount of bleach (4oz/10gal) and run it thru your fresh water system. Just make sure you run fresh water afterwards to rinse out the residue and there should be no harm to your system.

BTW, we have been drinking and cooking with tank water in the rv for over 15 years with zero problems. Bottled water is overhyped and way overpriced in MHO. But, then, that’s just me as millions of others swear that bottled is the only way to go.

Last edited:
We take meticulous care of our fresh water tank and are not afraid of cooking, drinking, etc. It is emptied after every trip. We use bleach and afterwards, another sanitizer. Then flush it several times. We have never had any troubles. Good luck!

I use 1 teaspoon of Sodium Dichlor (swimming pool shock, no chlorine taste) per 100 gallons of water.
Put it in the filter canister (filter removed) then fill the tank. Run water through the hot and cold faucets, let it sit overnight, flush the faucets, drain the tank, install a new filter, refill the tank as neended.

I add bleach to our fresh water tank (recommended amount for our size tank) fill with water, let sit for 24 hr, drain, fill with fresh and then drain after 24. We too, do not usually use water from it to drink or cook, but believe it would be safe to do so. I found a bleach to water amount ratio on line. I do this every year.

I guess I do everything differently. I use baking soda. Chlorine is poison, it is absorbed by most plastic, therefore off gasses into the water, and deteriorate the plastic as well.

Best part is the water has a sweet taste when through.

I do other things as well. I bubble the water going in the tank with Ozone.

I guess I do everything differently. I use baking soda. Chlorine is poison, it is absorbed by most plastic, therefore off gasses into the water, and deteriorate the plastic as well.

Best part is the water has a sweet taste when through.

I do other things as well. I bubble the water going in the tank with Oz

Latest resources

Back