• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Garbear2483

RVF Newbee
Hello all,

I have a Ram 1500 Big Horn that has a max towing capacity of 8,300 lbs.

I’m looking at buying at 32.5 ft travel trailer that weigh6,700 lbs empty.

Is this too much trailer for my truck? I was also going to purchase a E4 four point distribution hitch.

Manager of dealership says I should be fine especially with the distribution hitch.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

Of course the dealer says your ok, they want the sale. General rule is to stay within 80% of the maximum capacity, at 6700# dry you just over (6640). After adding water, propane, supplies and belongings I would suspect you will be right at or over the 8300#. Distribution hitch improves the weight on the tongue but does not increase capacity.

Yeah, I'm aware of the 80% rule, which happens to be the exact weight with the trailer empty. I rounded up to 6,700 lbs. In addition, I would not be traveling with the liquids (Fresh/Grey/Black) to help alleviate the extra weight. Propane, folding chairs, food, clothes and a small grill would be my add ons. I know it adds up quickly. We may have to look at other trailers, but this one has all our wants. Ugh!

What is the intended use? If you are running on flat interstates I would be ok with going up to the limit. If running in mountains, then considerabley less.

My F150 is rated at 2040 payload and 9100 towing.

You lose 3% power for every 1000' of elevation. I intend to go into 11,000' elevations with as much as 7% grades so Im thinking that I need to be at 6,500 max.

Oh darn, I took the name on this thread as someone that was willing to haul my extra weight:LOL:. Wow the extra trim package sure must add a lot of extra weight, oh maybe the year my 1500 5.7/8 speed says 10500#. Funny how weight adds up while your not watching.

First of all, how much payload do you have. Check the yellow sticker on the B piller of your truck. It should read something something like this " Weight of all occupants and load not to be more than xxxx lbs. Take that number and subtract weight of you,wife, kids,dogs and any thing else you will be cayying in the truck. That will be what is left of your payload. Subtract another 100 lbs. for the weight of the WDH and that is how much tongue weight you can carry with out going over the numbers. You will be either at that number or probably over.

Ok, all. I'm considering upgrading my truck to a 2021 Ram 1500 that can max tow 11,627 lbs. The truck payload increases to 1,727 lbs. Surely this would get me where I need to be?
80% tow capacity would be 9,301 lbs. My trailer is 6,640 lbs empty. That gives me 2,661 lbs of play at 80%.

Are you getting that payload number off of the truckor are you using the RAM web site information? Regardless of where the number is coming from you still have to deduct the weight of youand anything you carry in the truck from that number.

Based on the weight of 9301, yoyu will have a tongue weight of Between 1209 and 1395 lbs, This leaves a a balance of about 5 to 600 lbs. Is that enough weight remaining to carry you, wife, kids and dog. Not mention the approx. weight of the hitch at about 100 lbs.

I am not trying in any way to talk you out of this, just be absolutely sure your numbers are good. Try running your numbers in the attached linc. Be sure they are actual numbers and not from a web site.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

I wouldn’t do it. Get a bigger truck or a lighter trailer. Never trust what a dealer says. Once you’re off the lot it’s not their problem. The only way a dealer might care at all is if they were selling a truck and trailer package. Even then. They’d probably only care that the truck could pull the trailer off the lot.

Alternatively, just fedex all your stuff to the campsite in advance, tow the trailer dry and empty and you’ll be golden :D

I will add a little here. The way you can tow a heavy trailer with a truck with a small payload is to use an equalizing hitch. By design part of the weight is forced onto the front axle and trailer axles. Put the extra equipment you planed to put in the truck into the trailer. Pay attention to GCVW GVW of both vehicles not dry weight. If you pay attention to the manufacturers numbers and keep the 80% rule in sight then the equipment in the truck will not be over stressed. and use the right equipment for the job like equalizer hitch you are good to go.

Now on the other side of the fence. If you choose to upgrade trailer, and It is above the limit of your new truck then you will need to once again buy new. I tell you the reason to buy small, or bigger, both have there strong points. I have been doing this RV life for a long time, I know what I need and look for. I am mindful of weight and safety. I consider economy when not towing as well as enough truck to do the job. My fifth has a GVW of 6800# My cargo has a GVW of 7000#. My truck, well my truck I have already mentioned. 4 years into the truck I have had "0" issues. I travel the west with it in the rockies. and other western mountain ranges without any overheating or lack of power.

I hear that the 6 speed in the 2600 and above will result in lower over all gas mileage than the 8 speed in the 1500. Both transmissions are considered bullet proof, but the mileage is much much better with the 8 speed. In the end you will live with your choices. If your purchase of trailer is a solid future plan then the 1500 should serve you well if you remember to run the trailer over the scales every now and again.

Latest resources

Back