• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Help with max towing capacity

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Are you getting that payload number off of the truckor are you using the RAM web site information?
General info on the RAM website is suspicious as most manufacturers sites are. However when at the dealer have him show you the "as built" data on your future truck that is also on the website for RAM trucks according to VIN.

I sure wouldnt go from a 1/2T to a 1/2T to increase tow capacity.

A 2021 f250 XLT 4x4 with the 7.3 has a msrp of 55k.

Not sure what a comparable equiped 2500 Ram lists for, but if you are getting a new truck speciffically to tow with, go big.

Also, no one has mentioned the fact that a 32 1/2 ft. travel trailer is awful long for a 1/2 ton to handle.

I don't care what the numbers are I wouldn't use a 1500 to pull a 33' long trailer. No way. If you've ever blown a tire or have ever had a trailer start "wagging the dog" you wouldn't consider it either. As long as everything stays perfect and the sun is shining and the wind isn't blowing and you never get above 55 mph you'll be OK. If you can admit that any of those things may not happen then you need a bigger truck.

I don't care what the numbers are I wouldn't use a 1500 to pull a 33' long trailer. No way. If you've ever blown a tire or have ever had a trailer start "wagging the dog" you wouldn't consider it either. As long as everything stays perfect and the sun is shining and the wind isn't blowing and you never get above 55 mph you'll be OK. If you can admit that any of those things may not happen then you need a bigger truck.
Hey @"EZ" I'm not arguing with you here but. How much weight does it take to stop a wagging tail? Blow a tire on what? The truck or trailer.

Last but not least. when does the 80% rule not apply?

I think it is easy to think bigger is better, or at least that is what our society tells us. It is kind of like The person that says they wouldn't take a 30 ft boat on a blue water cruise. In the pond it seems that a 100 ft yacht is to small. But then we see many 32 ft West sails out there all the time.

I am kind of a safety guy. I have been towing things for, well,48 or so years. I have had all the above happen while behind the wheel. What I have learned is it is not the size that matters. It is the proper loading that makes the difference. The wagging tail taught me that. The truck size couldn't stop that unless your using a tractor to pull a 32 foot pull trailer. Even that comment might give me pause depending on how poorly loaded it was. Every year that I have paid attention more than one Tractor trailer rig has been blown over when the Santa Anna winds howl even if the truck was big enough. Commercial trucks go on scales every day and are checked for loading, that is why you don't see them swaying all over the road.

I too have given my view on larger trucks. I am just saying let's not push larger trucks using fear tactics. Let's stick to the merits of the case.

I will add this to my post

Also, no one has mentioned the fact that a 32 1/2 ft. travel trailer is awful long for a 1/2 ton to handle.
Just a note my 1500 has the same wheel base as a 2500. Only difference that might be noted is weight. all other tow characteristics would be the same. And the as built spec on the truck he is looking at the manufacture said will handle the load with 20% to spare. As long as he realistically considered his extras then all should be good.

Are you getting that payload number off of the truckor are you using the RAM web site information? Regardless of where the number is coming from you still have to deduct the weight of youand anything you carry in the truck from that number.

Based on the weight of 9301, yoyu will have a tongue weight of Between 1209 and 1395 lbs, This leaves a a balance of about 5 to 600 lbs. Is that enough weight remaining to carry you, wife, kids and dog. Not mention the approx. weight of the hitch at about 100 lbs.

I am not trying in any way to talk you out of this, just be absolutely sure your numbers are good. Try running your numbers in the attached linc. Be sure they are actual numbers and not from a web site.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
If the tongue weight does end up between 1209 and 1395 that will exceed the hitch rating on every 1/2 truck I have checked. Ram 1/2 tons has a sticker on the hitch with two ratings, one With WD and one Without WD. I had the same problem with my Airstream finding a hitch that would except the tongue weight and even a lot 3/4 ton and 1 ton have a 1250 pound limit unless they have the heavy duty towing package and 3" hitch.

Last edited:
Hey it's your life and your family and your equipment. Tow what you want with your half ton pickup. If you'll watch the following video and do the math correctly and honestly and weigh your fully loaded truck and trailer with all the people and stuff you actually take with you on vacation and the numbers say your half ton pickup will properly tow a 33' travel trailer and all the stuff then I'll agree that it's OK. I'll even admit I was wrong. But without even knowing what your weights are the video will tell you that from the data they've collected over 30 years that over 50% of all pickup truck and over 50% of all travel trailers are over the legal limit. And the longer the trailer is the more extra weight seems to creep in over the years because there is room to store more stuff.

Matching Trucks To Trailers - Matching Trucks To Trailers (rvacademy.com)

General info on the RAM website is suspicious as most manufacturers sites are. However when at the dealer have him show you the "as built" data on your future truck that is also on the website for RAM trucks according to VIN.
Hi Kevin,
You seem very qualified as an Rv expert...what's your take, if you have a quick minute, on our situation. 2020 F150, short bed, 3.55 gears, 3.5 ecoboost, tow package. Want to get the most of a trailer for us. Would a 30 foot (max) size trailer at or under 6,000 lbs work, My combined weight... is 1,790 lbs.
Thanks for any advise!

Ok @JohnintheUS I will weigh in on this, not because I am an expert, but because I have been around.

As a disclaimer I would like to say all 6 cyl engines are not equal. For an example a Cummins 6 is a work horse. that said a gas engine of 3.5 l in size is short on engine braking. You will be using your brakes a bunch in anything close to a hill. To make the braking power worse your truck is equipped with 3.55 gears. the steeper the gear ratio the more torque the engine can offer for braking. With a gas 6 set up to tow anything I would expect 4.11 rear.

I would have a hard time arguing that twin turbos would not help a 3.5 l engine with HP and torque, and for sure Ford has run the numbers as to what such HP can move. But! I think Ford is short sited when they claim large numbers like that. All machinery is full of compromise. and I think we are looking at a case that is almost false advertising. When turbos are added to small engines to make claim to fame claims the owner should be aware the engine will be worked to death in short time. The turbos too will have excess strain because of the amount of time they are in service to handle the load claimed.

The specs are a good setup for a daily driver, or for very limited towing. I have a friend that hauls his glider in a box trailer that is roughly 30ft long. He could likely haul it with your truck. But in my opinion it is like sending in the boy to arm wrestle a giant.

For future use, combined weight is truck and camper fully loaded. Payload is the amount you can carry in the truck including the tong weight and bodies, and gas, and lunch pail, Oh yah, hitch.

I could tell you of other trucks I would not question. I could tell you the direction other manufacturers went to give better gas mileage and still be real trucks, but that is not what I am about. For the record. @"EZ" sells commercial trucks. You could call him an expert.

I was at a CG in KY and a big ole truck/trailer pulled past my site and backed into the site beside me. His trailer was longer than my coach. I was out doing things around the coach and talked to them and noticed he had a f250 pulling that trailer. I mentioned he might be pushing the limits of the truck and he agreed and said he needed a 350 but it was over 120k Canadian and he couldn't afford it right now. I think his trailer was like 43ft.
I pull a 23ft boat that weighs in at like 7k loaded with 140/gal fuel and 40 gals fresh water, with my 2006 tundra (max tow 6900 lbs) 4x4. I have no problems towing it and have launched it at a ramp that was about 100 ft long at a 30 degree angle. Just put it in drive (no 4x4) and slowly pulled that heavy boat up the hill no problem. Surprised a few of the guys there.

Latest resources

Back