Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hey guys! Can’t wait to start living the camp life!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Trailbeast870

RVF Newbee
Totally new to the towing thing but my aunt gave me her 5th wheel (38’ keystone Montana) I came here by recommendation from a friend. My truck (2020 JEEP Gladiator) already has an RV plug but I need to get a 5th wheel hitch to install. Any recommendations from the more seasoned vets?

Welcome from Dallas GA. You have a nice fifth wheel, I do not know much about the Gladiator but that may not be enough truck for the Montana. The Montana weight is likely 10,000-11,000 pounds empty. Look closely at the tow capacity of the truck. Remember to add cargo weight. I’ve towed several different ones over the years, you don’t want to be over loaded. You will need to be able to tow safely and stop.

Trailbeast, John is correct! You are going to want to start with the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer! Then you'll want to find out the towing capacity rating of the Jeep! I think you may need a different Tow Vehicle.

Doing a quick check - Your Jeep Galdiator Tow rating

That Montana, with out knowing the year, would weigh between 14,000 to 16,000 lbs. fully loaded.

Not to mention, I don't believe I ever seen a JEEP towing a fifth wheel

You got a couple options with your trailer and tow vehicle setup.

Option 1; Sell the trailer and get one that your Jeep is capable of towing.

Option 2; Sell your Jeep and get a truck that is capable of towing the trailer. (It will be a minimum of 3/4 ton truck. F250/350, Ram 2500/3500, Chevy 2500/3500)

Option 3; Don’t sell either, and buy either a different trailer or a different truck.

Sorry to say but you will never be able to tow that trailer with your Jeep. It is too much trailer.

Agree with all these statements. The jeep doesn't have enough PAYLOAD (cargo carrying capacity) to tow a 5th wheel.
Not to mention power, braking, transmission, etc.

Latest resources

Back