Challenger
RV Length
Engine
Triton
TOW/TOAD
searching
Fulltimer
No
Happy owners of a new (to us) 2007 Damon Challenger. New RV'ers looking forward to working out a few small bugs and hitting the road in March for a cross-country to Washington state and then seeing where the winds lead us on our new journey. Hoping to find new friends and help/resources here.

Welcome and congrats on the coach.

Lots of knowledge here.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great trip. Have you decided on a path to go?
Be prepared for some colder weather when heading north. Still pretty cold and snow in the mountains.

Thanks! We have not planned the route yet. We really have no idea what we're doing - in almost all context of the word when it comes to rv-ing OR our travel plans. My eldest son is getting married in Seattle mid-March so the goal is a straight shot there (maybe staying a little south and then running up the coast... - ish?). If we survive the initial leg we will have some plans but are not on a schedule. Budget isn't a limiting factor - per se and we're retired a little early so if we like it might stay on the road for a few months. I know this is gonna be an adventure and trying to make friends and round up resources early in the game. Our RV seems very solid and in decent shape. I have one electrical gremlin that is kicking my butt and a small water leak near the pump in kitchen under sink that has not caused any damage but I will isolate and correct in the next few days. The electrical one I may be back on here looking for help in the near future. Looking forward to the journey.:)

Good to see on board. I agree with BGMAC. March weather can be iffy. I suggest you jump onto I 10 and head west. There is a lot to see and do on the way and, although there can never be a guarantee, weather problems should be far fewer. Crossing the mountains to the coast is easier staying on I 10 into Southern California. Heading to Washington State from Utah or Idaho entails a bit of a climb and the prospect of snow and poor road conditions increases. Taking I 5 all the way north shouldn't be a problem until you hit the Shasta area. There are a couple of passes that still might give you issues but if you want a spectacular scenic drive head straight to the coast. From Ventura north to Monterey should be on every one's bucket list (I prefer the trip from north to south but either direction is amazing). Once you pass by San Francisco, keep to the coast again to enjoy the rugged beauty of the Pacific Northwest. You will find almost all of the campgrounds and RV parks open along this route. The coast pretty much stays snow free all year round.

Just a quick FYI. There are not many RV Parks in the Seattle area and those that are, fill quickly.

No matter what route you take, you are in for an amazing trip.

Safe travels

Darrell

Thanks, RO. Sage advice. We had considered staying south. I-10 from MS to J-ville is familiar territory. The wife and I met in San Diego in the early 90's (military) and haven't been back since. Other than military we have traveled exactly ZERO, other than retiring in VA, moving to SC for a few years for family matters and then settling in the FL panhandle. San Diego has been a 'bucket list' item for over a decade. This might be the opportunity. We were discussing making the wedding and then maybe floating around the midwest for a while, heading back east toward the VA area and drop through my hometown in SC on the way back home. I hate making plans any firmer than wet spaghetti because they never seem to come together. Staying away from cold, icy, snowy mountain passes to the 'n'th degree is definitely a big priority in my playbook, especially being new to the game.
Any recommendations for campsites in the Seattle area - for a newb? I don't mind making reservations now if necessary. Not sure what our toad is gonna be yet, but driving an hour or two from base camp to get where we need to be is no biggee for us. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, RO. Sage advice. We had considered staying south. I-10 from MS to J-ville is familiar territory. The wife and I met in San Diego in the early 90's (military) and haven't been back since. Other than military we have traveled exactly ZERO, other than retiring in VA, moving to SC for a few years for family matters and then settling in the FL panhandle. San Diego has been a 'bucket list' item for over a decade. This might be the opportunity. We were discussing making the wedding and then maybe floating around the midwest for a while, heading back east toward the VA area and drop through my hometown in SC on the way back home. I hate making plans any firmer than wet spaghetti because they never seem to come together. Staying away from cold, icy, snowy mountain passes to the 'n'th degree is definitely a big priority in my playbook, especially being new to the game.
Any recommendations for campsites in the Seattle area - for a newb? I don't mind making reservations now if necessary. Not sure what our toad is gonna be yet, but driving an hour or two from base camp to get where we need to be is no biggee for us. Thanks in advance.
Well aren't you fortunate!!! Being X Military opens doors that other folks can't. I Googled Seattle Military for you. Washington There are Military campgrounds all over the country. Like any parks, some are good and some are not. I use Google Reviews, RV Life Campground RV LIFE Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks Reviews and Campendium RV Parks, Caravan Parks and unique RV Camping locations - Campendium in order to chose a park. There are lots of review sites out there. I'm sure you will find a few you will be comfortable using.

Darrell

Happy owners of a new (to us) 2007 Damon Challenger. New RV'ers looking forward to working out a few small bugs and hitting the road in March for a cross-country to Washington state and then seeing where the winds lead us on our new journey. Hoping to find new friends and help/resources here.
Welcome to RVforums. We are from Ely, Iowa

Welcome to the group. We will be traveling to Arizona in March, heading out on I10.

Latest resources

Back