Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Sweetfarm

RVF Regular
Hi everyone, I’m looking to run electric to my travel trailer. It has 30 amp service. I am digging a trench and going to get 10 gauge direct burial wire. Wondering if I can use this outlet? ( with an additional breaker in the basement)

That box should work fine, though you could probably find a less-expensive option.

Don't know how long your wire run is from the breaker panel in the house to the RV box, but if it totals more than about 100' you should upsize your wire to 8AWG. And, if it was my project, I would run 8AWG anyway, just in case I ever wanted to change to a 50A service.

TJ

Thanks TJ. I need both the 30 amp and the regular house current. This is the only unit I’ve seen with both. I was tempted to go with eight gauge but I’m not sure my breaker box can handle 50 amps because I’m at my limit. I’m running about 200 feet. With the limited amount of power I’ll be using for the camper people seem to think it’s OK. Hope so! I talked to one electrician and he said a “70 amp” unit could not be used with 10 gauge wire and I understand that in theory but I do not believe he is correct.

Thanks TJ. I need both the 30 amp and the regular house current. This is the only unit I’ve seen with both. I was tempted to go with eight gauge but I’m not sure my breaker box can handle 50 amps because I’m at my limit. I’m running about 200 feet. With the limited amount of power I’ll be using for the camper people seem to think it’s OK. Hope so! I talked to one electrician and he said a “70 amp” unit could not be used with 10 gauge wire and I understand that in theory but I do not believe he is correct.
With a 200' run, you absolutely need 8WG...maybe 6AWG! Your electrician is correct. The voltage drop with 10AWG wire over a 200' run will be substantial. And, using undersized wire could pose some insurance issues as well should you ever have an electrical fire. Saving a few bucks in the short term may not be a good long-term investment.

TJ

Thanks. I think you misunderstood me. Every electrician I’ve talked to said that the 10 gauge wire for 200 feet is fine for my needs. I don’t believe I have enough power in my circuit breaker box for 50 amp (8 gauge) as well. My question is whether or not that outlet would work with the 10 gauge. I appreciate your help.

The size of the wire has nothing to do with how much amperage you draw from your main panel. Using 8AWG will not, in itself, draw any more amperage than 10AWG. The load you plug in at the end of the circuit governs how much amperage is drawn and since you will have a 30A receptacle for the RV and two 20A general use receptacles, your potential draw could be 70A if you use all three circuits at the same time.

TJ

Last edited:
So you’re saying I could go up to an 8 or 6 gauge and that won’t affect the breaker box it would just would perform better?

So you’re saying I could go up to an 8 or 6 gauge and that won’t affect the breaker box it would just would perform better?
Yes. Just be sure that the individual breaker in your main panel will accept the larger wire size. It most likely will, but if not, just replace the individual breaker with one that will.

TJ

Great, thanks TJ. I think I am going to go up to the eight gauge in conduit and there is no breaker in at the moment so I will put in a GFCI type. Somebody mentioned I need two 30 amp breakers and one 20 amp breaker. Now that I’ve got the wire figured out I will look more into that.

It looks like the power outlet box you have chosen comes with a 30A and a 20A breaker installed. The 30A protects the RV outlet and the 20A protects the two household outlets. All you need now is a 30A (or 50A if you want) breaker for the main panel at the house.

The breakers in the power outlet box (aka "sub-panel) will protect the circuits connected to it. The breaker at the main panel in the house protects against a short circuit between it and the sub-panel (or, an unlikely failure of one of the breakers in the sub-panel).

Good luck.

TJ

Latest resources

Back