• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Hook up an RV outlet

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I would not put a GFCI breaker in your main panel. Many RV systems do not play well with GFCI’s. I would add a GFCI outlet at the point of use if you feel you need one there for other use

Hi everyone, well it’s been a while! I’ve decided to go with 4 or 6 gage wire for the 200 foot run. Probably 4. The last electrician I had at the house told me that I need to run separate wires for each breaker which is getting a little pricey. $600+. I was under the impression I could run a single wire to this outlet and put in a jumper to each breaker. Am I correct in thinking this?

You should be able to run a single heavy wire (#4) to a "sub-panel" at the RV connection point. The sub-panel would then have breakers in it for the individual circuits it feeds. This is similar to putting a sub-panel in a detached building like a shop, garage, etc.

Where are you finding your "electricians?" Are these licensed and bonded electricians, or handymen that do occasional electrical work? From my experience, you are receiving some questionable information. Or, the electrical code in your state is a whole lot different from the one in states with which I am familiar.

Get a state-licensed electrician and do it the way he says. And, get an electrical permit from the state to have the work done. That will get you an inspection and assurance that the job has been done correctly.

TJ

Thanks TJ. The subpanel in question is the one in the link above. It has a 20 and a 30 amp circuit breakers. That is why I’m questioning the number of wires. I’ll link it again.

I have been talking to quite a few certified electricians and everybody seems to have a different opinion, that’s why I’ve been coming on here. The first electrician wanted me to use 10 gauge wire which now that I’m educating myself I realize is far too small. The second one wants me to run two 4 gauge wires which seems like overkill.

I don’t know, the more I talk to licensed electricians the more I realize that even though they have the title they might not know exactly what they’re doing. The last guy I talk to you also was planning on running 240v out there which is not at all the right thing to do and could damage my RV wiring! Before I drop $1200 on this project I want to do it once and make sure it’s done right.

Contact the state electrical inspector in your area and ask how to do it properly. He/she likely won't recommend a specific electrician to do the work, but in my experience they will tell you what you need to do.

Best I can suggest at this point.

TJ

Thanks, I’m not sure the inspector is going to know whether or not that outlet needs to have two wires as it is very RV specific and I feel as if I would be wasting his time by dragging him over here to ask such a simple question. This is really the last piece of the puzzle. Once I find out this answer for sure I can order the supplies and have the electrician begin. I’ve learned a lot and I’m almost there!

At least in my state (Washington), you can call and leave a callback number. The inspector then gets back to you (they spend most of their time in the field) and can answer your question.

Running 240V from your main panel to the sub-panel at the pedestal is perfectly fine. The 120V circuits will be split out in the RV box. Just because a 240V line goes out to the sub-panel doesn't mean that you will only have 240V circuits.

A standard four-wire 240V feed consists of two 120V legs (aka "hot legs"), one neutral leg and a ground leg. Each 120V leg is connected to a separate "buss bar" in the box. The neutral connects to its own buss, as does the ground. Connecting a circuit to one buss and a neutral gives you a 120V circuit. Grounds are all connected to the ground buss. This is how it is done in your house panel.

Circuit breakers for 120V are designed to pick up only one "buss bar" and the neutral "buss bar" inside the box. Breakers designed for 240V pick up both 120V "buss bars" and do not use the neutral. All circuits use the separate ground buss.

The correct way to run your circuit, IMO, is to run 240V out to the sub-panel and split the 120V circuits out there.

TJ

Latest resources

Back