Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do i find the weight that i am actually towing with my 5th wheel hitch?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Interesting little device. Read some reviews about it. The accuracy varied. It can be 10% off.
I used mostly the 20% rule. 20% of our total 5th wheel weight for the tongue weight.
It is not accurate, I know, but gave me a good idea.
as they say, your results may vary.

I used it to get the tongue weight and the GVCR. it can't give the trailer only weight, so you have to do the math manually, combined weight minus the truck weight.

On a recent trip from L.A. CA to Fort Collins CO to take my kid to college, I had a cargo trailer loaded with all her furniture and possessions, I was concerned about overloading the cargo trailer.

I ran the app without the trailer, with myself, daughter, and her luggage in the truck and got a weight of 5,420 lbs, then ran the app with the Cargo trailer attached and it weighed my SUV and Trailer with a GVCR of 8,876 lbs, so 8876-5420 = 3,456 in the trailer. Trailer has a GVWR of 4,120 lbs., SUV has a GVWR of 5,871 lbs.

The app gave me a tongue weight of 276 lbs.

took it to a local weigh station,

The scale gave me a truck weight 5,397 lbs. and a trailer weight of 3,325 lbs. combined weight of 8,722, a difference of -154 (so less) than the app.

Tongue weight was 275 lbs. on the scale., so nearly dead on.

it seems to give a bit of a higher reading than actual weight, however the way it does the weight reading is some type of algorithm based on engine load coming from the ODBII sensors. so, if I was on a slight incline during the test, it would indicate a higher reading, and if on a decline a lower reading.

I believed I was on pretty level ground but based on the recent "hurricane" that happened in my area, I can clearly see based on the flood run off, that the street was on a slight incline, so that justifies the minor differences IMO.

Latest resources

Back