Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do you organize and secure your cabinet contents? Post pictures and show us!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We put dish towels and hot pads between the pots and lids in the drawers under the stove and paper plates between the real ones in the cabinets. Also use cardboard separators between glasses. We like real cookware and tableware when traveling so we are always finding ways to elimate rattles and avoid breakage.

And here’s a valuable tip: don’t store heavier stuff in high cabinets inside, such as above the sofa. Any swaying while crossing uneven ground, even at very low speeds, is exagerated higher up, so things can be ejected (like an expensive camera and lens) even if the cabinet door seems secure. I got lucky and my camera and lens bounced off the sofa and landed on a dog bed instead of the tile floor, but it could disastrous.
Great tips, @Rich W.! Thanks. Good thing the dog was not on the bed at the time. Hahahaha!

We use small storage tubs and we have a set of spring loaded bars for securing items in the fridge. We have wide velcro straps the we us to secure the fridge and ddouble doors to the bathroom storage area. These item along with strateigc placeing of items in the cabinet.View attachment 20184
Tension rods. Love it. I'll order a few. Thanks, @Wemustrv .

Thanks @Russellvh . That's helpful. Hmmm... reusable zip ties. I'll pickup a few. So, do you and the wife use the zip ties for anything else? [Wink, wink]. Hahahaha!
They don’t make them in a fur lined option yet.

@ARD , I went to the local thrift shop and found some really nice bins in two categories of sizes the should fit well in our RV. Thanks for the idea. We'll post pictures soon. I hope to make you proud.

I may even go buy a label maker. :D

i don't throw away ANY container without first assessing its value for organizing. I prefer the clear plastic organizers, but they can get expensive, and I decided to make my own temporary organizers our of old kleenex boxes, clear plastic pastry lids, etc...until I figure what works, and then replace them with nice clear plastic. The problem is finding the sizes I need in the expensive boxes - I can 'custom build' to exact size with my scrap stuff. I'll add photos later when the sun (and Bob) is up.

i don't throw away ANY container without first assessing its value for organizing. I prefer the clear plastic organizers, but they can get expensive, and I decided to make my own temporary organizers our of old kleenex boxes, clear plastic pastry lids, etc...until I figure what works, and then replace them with nice clear plastic. The problem is finding the sizes I need in the expensive boxes - I can 'custom build' to exact size with my scrap stuff. I'll add photos later when the sun (and Bob) is up.
Most of mine are the plastic bins that gun nails and deck screws come in when from HD. Also the bins black tank pods come in. I don’t think any of them were purchased new for the purpose. I also use them in the medicine cabinet to keep all the small things neat and orderly in there, and contain liquid items in case heat, movement, or elevation changes cause a leak.

That is so helpful @Rich W. !!! Thank you so much. It already gave me a couple of ideas I want to implement as it is fitting for my setup - that is, the use of shallow shelves. Did you build that yourself?
Yes. The higher end coaches come with similar but more elegant shelves (brushed stainless or aluminum?) in that location. Mine were just meant to serve as mock-ups and provide temporary duty for one trip, but as I said, that was a couple years ago, so apparently painted plywood is sufficient.

Original installation:
D65A62CE-ED1C-4268-B608-9F5B29E8D753.jpeg
Peg board turned around:
64A96218-0747-466E-A579-D24FDEEBDCDC.jpeg

From a 2019 Essex:
CDA641CF-B3DC-4C02-BA5F-CC93001B4543.jpeg
For interested Newmar owners, when I had my peg board out for some plumbing work I discovered that the back side is covered with the same grey automotive carpet as found in the bays and since the peg board is basically useless in this application, I turned the whole thing around and it has a much more pleasing appearance.

Last edited:
I may even go buy a label maker. :D
Bahahah. They are addicting. You will want to label everything, but it does help when you have big bins in your storage bays below. 🤣

That's awesome you were able to find bins. Looking forward to seeing your photos. 😊

Latest resources

Back