Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do you organize and secure your cabinet contents? Post pictures and show us!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Yorick1973

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Solitude 378MBS
RV Length
42'
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi Everyone. Lord willing, we start our full-timing in a couple months. I'd love to see how you experienced RVers organize and secure your cabinet contents. Share pictures if you can.

In particular. what have you done to hold things down and minimize breakage/damage?

Thanks for the question! I definitely understand the challenge of keeping cabinets and their contents organized and secure while on the road. Here are a few tips on how I've set up my RV:

• Use shelf liners or non-slip mats - These help keep items from sliding around on cabinets and drawers. I line all my shelves and drawers with a soft rubber liner.
  • Use containers/bins for loose items - Any small items like spices, snacks, toiletries, etc. I keep in plastic bins or containers with lids. This corrals all the little things in one place.
  • Use heavy duty Velcro - For lightweight items I can't put in a container, I use heavy duty Velcro strips. These hold everything securely in place but are still removable.
  • Use latches on cabinet doors - Installing simple latches helps keep cabinet doors closed tight so their contents don't rattle around.
  • Pack strategically - I put heavier items on lower shelves and lighter items up high. This helps minimize shifting when driving.
  • Wrap or secure glass/fragile items - I wrap dishes and cups with towels or packing paper to cushion them. You can also use non-skid drawer liner inside cabinets to keep glassware and plates in place.
Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm happy to share more tips on keeping an RV organized on the go.

My cabinet above the windshield - I re-used misc plastic bins from various projects. Keeps a lot of small stuff organized and in one place. I also added the wood strip on the bottom shelf to keep stuff from falling out. Top shelf already had one.
2DAF8850-D1AB-4B72-9ADC-189000A1B7A9.jpegC68B1619-4E58-4D7B-8D42-AFDF10FCA9FE.jpeg

That is very well organized!

Some people use museum putty to keep things in place on counters. It works well and doesn’t leave any marks. I was keeping a house plant and coffee maker in place with it for a while.

Above posts are great ideas, we use most of them.
We have a motorhome, so as we drive we can hear things rattle or move. This has done 2 things:
1) we learned how to store specific items that tend to rattle or move
2) I learned how to better drive to avoid things moving

Above posts are great ideas, we use most of them.
We have a motorhome, so as we drive we can hear things rattle or move. This has done 2 things:
1) we learned how to store specific items that tend to rattle or move
2) I learned how to better drive to avoid things moving
We put dish towels and hot pads between the pots and lids in the drawers under the stove and paper plates between the real ones in the cabinets. Also use cardboard separators between glasses. We like real cookware and tableware when traveling so we are always finding ways to elimate rattles and avoid breakage.

And here’s a valuable tip: don’t store heavier stuff in high cabinets inside, such as above the sofa. Any swaying while crossing uneven ground, even at very low speeds, is exagerated higher up, so things can be ejected (like an expensive camera and lens) even if the cabinet door seems secure. I got lucky and my camera and lens bounced off the sofa and landed on a dog bed instead of the tile floor, but it could disastrous.

This is my outside supplies cabinet, previously useless pegboard. The shelves were just tempory mock-ups but that was three years ago, so I guess they are good enough. The inventory varies depending on trip duration and any pending road-projects. There’s also a 120v outlet here for chargers, etc.
568890F5-D431-44D7-BF0D-A07F7A49804A.jpeg
Tool storage - this tool chest is only 12” deep (had to remove the lid) so it fits perfectly. It also resided in my two previous coaches. I toyed with the idea of a taller box but stayed with this one and installed the shelf above which is quite handy. I moved the light to the underside of the shelf and there is a factory 120v outlet above the shelf.
B8E8AB82-F2C3-4129-A6B0-DF6A246AC501.jpeg
I also boxed in the area around my DEF tank and installed the sewer hose bin on the left and created more storage on the right, and added a light. There was a lot of wasted space here and I like having Stinky out of the wet bay. I’ve since added a 120v outlet in this space too.
C5AC66D7-1C8A-4F88-904E-CFEBEDB64A1E.jpeg
The longer you have a rig, the more you’ll figure out about storage and mods that make it all easier and more organized. I still have more plans for this one.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. Lord willing, we start our full-timing in a couple months. I'd love to see how you experienced RVers organize and secure your cabinet contents. Share pictures if you can.

In particular. what have you done to hold things down and minimize breakage/damage?
IMG_6347.png

Eek! Sorry that photo is so huge but this Gorilla Grip will be your best friend. Line shelves, separate cookware, glassware, anything that rattles and it helps things stay in place as you’re underway. It’s awesome and I always keep extra rolls bc you never know when you’ll need it!

Latest resources

Back