Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How far behind is Newmar in Tech and Furniture?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
By the way, I'm depressed now...thank you very much. I feel like I've just cheated on my Newmar family by lusting at another woman.

It would PAIN me to leave Newmar after becoming so attached to the Newmar Corp family, service center, as well as YOU all.

So, yeah...I'm praying Newmar pulls a rabbit out of the hat on this one. They have a lot to catch up on, in comparison.

If Entegra ends up on a FL I'm geeeeyonnn!

I spent over 2 years on the 1rv2 entegra chat the vega and the multi plexer were a real mess for the first few years.

If Entegra ends up on a FL I'm geeeeyonnn!
Not sure that would hold me back, Neal. Then again, I’m on a Spartan...and really don‘t know differently.

I’m gonna be real mad if all ya’ll leave me behind, switching to Entegras.

It’s true Newmar mailed it in on tech.
It’s true that the furniture is low grade.

BUT...yesterday I emailed Newmar after I had to change sites due to a power problem at the pedestal (thank you Hughes Power Watchdog). I pulled in the slides and noticed the FWS and Kitchen Slide both weren’t flush and the reveals weren’t straight.

Two emails to Erica at Newmar and I was booked with NewServe at 10am this morning. He came out, adjusted my slides and even knocked some items off my punch list for Nappanee.

70C34F4B-C70F-4331-8BBD-9BD2321AB0F0.jpeg

Let me know how that goes with Entegra. I’m not knocking em. They build a pretty posh coach. But there’s a reason you bought a Newmar. If Entegra has furniture problems in a 2017 unit today, do you really think they’d step up and replace it all? I don’t, but I could be wrong (happens a lot).

Listen, tech changes everyday. It’s impossible to keep up and while admittedly Newmar has fallen far behind in the infotainment area it’s easy to fix yourself - infotainment that is. Should you have to? No, but like any major item that wasn’t custom built just for you, you sacrifice the things that are easy to change to get quality where it’s not easy to change. That’s the Newmar difference to me.

All I’m saying is, we all bought Newmars because Newmar is there when it counts. I didn’t do 18 months of research on Entegras like I did Newmar but I did spend a good bit of time lurking in their forums and reading about the mess that their AV setup was a couple years ago. I didn’t hear a peep about Entegra doing squat to make it right. Doesn’t mean they didn’t, but I feel like people would have told their stories if that were the case.

Ask me any day of the year and I’ll take an analog coach from a builder will stand behind it over a technological marvel that gets minimal support and is completely obsolete in three years, whilst being riddled with software bugs and security vulnerabilities.

1590622175159.gif

Last edited:
Take a look at the recent Entegra videos and I think you may get the same impression as me. I love my Newmar and want to continue with this brand but when you look at what the competitors are doing it makes you realize that Newmar, in my opinion, is really falling behind in key areas. While Newmar may be superior with their woodwork and has the more floor (all tile) and emergency bathroom exit, Entegra seems to be really distancing itself above Newmar in many other areas.

Opinions?

Neal, You are absolutely correct. Technoligy on our DS is far behind what should have been available in 2018. Even our 2015 Cherokee has far more including adaptive cruse, blind spot sensors, lane control, etc, Entegra was on our short list and we visited their factory as well as Newmar prior to deciding when we bought our 2018 DS. Entegra offers many more features as standard as compared to Newmar on comparable models. They just would not let you make the changes that Newmar offers. It was pretty much this is the way it comes. While we chose our DS over Entegra, I would again look at Entegra when we are in the market again.

Well...that was a very painful video to watch! I "used" to love my Dutch Star. ?

I made a list of at least 20 items that are a SIGNIFICANT improvement, or a SOLUTION to the shortcomings on the Dutch Star.

You mentioned tech, which is my wheelhouse. The Entegra Anthem is lightyears ahead of the Dutch Star. The list is long, but the electronics, HDMI/Input switching, and multiple distribution is THE way I'd want.

The plumbing and wet bay is a much better design.

Lighting is well thought out and so well controlled including motion sensors for security lights.

The Vegatouch w/app has SO many nice features, from preset lighting, right down to an actual temp control for the floors.

Even the little things like ceiling fan, ext vented microwave, and independent control of the fantastic fan covers.

The oddest thing, is that the window awning is a manual pull...hmmm.

Tons more...at bit of a price bump. Let's see what happens.
Many of those same high-tech features that appeal to some are the very reason we probably won't buy ANY new coach. I am perfectly capable of reading analog instruments, manually turning lights on and off with real switches, etc., etc. Just more things to go bad and cause very expensive repairs once out of warranty.

TJ aka "The Dinosaur"

Many of those same high-tech features that appeal to some are the very reason we probably won't buy ANY new coach. I am perfectly capable of reading analog instruments, manually turning lights on and off with real switches, etc., etc. Just more things to go bad and cause very expensive repairs once out of warranty.

TJ aka "The Dinosaur"

This is the problem and Newmar is a contributor to this problem. This tech is flawless (for the most part) in the auto industry. The RV industry should not be allowed to get away with the poor tech and quality that we have given them an okay that is to be expected, it's an RV. If RV manufacturers could live up to the standards of the current times then we could have far superior products in many different brands. Newmar can't get SilverLeaf right, it shouldn't be this way. It sounds like Entegra had (if not still) issues with VegaTouch. Do you think Prevost Milleniums have this problem? Doubt it because they wouldn't allow this to happen as they take more pride in their product over turn-key RV manufacturers spitting boxes out the door slapped together with, yep, self-tapping screws. Newmar is a great product but it is not the level of a product of this cost in the year 2020.

I agree 100% with Neal.

Two of the biggest issues, for me, have been horrific non-standardized wiring and poor fastener usage.

When done to automotive standards, not only will wiring be the same on each coach, it’ll also be a lot easier to find a problem...if one even occurs. When is the last time any of us have had a wiring/electronic problem with our cars/trucks in the last 7 model years? I’ve had about 10 very sophisticated cars and trucks since 2010 and have had ZERO Issues. If Ford, Chevy, BMW, and Mercedes can do it...why can’t the RV industry?

Tiffin comes close with their special multiplex cable system that eliminates a ton of wiring.

As to the AV system, don’t get me started. But, most of the problems in the NEWMARS are caused because they have NO idea how to do it...SIMPLY. You don’t just slap 4 TVs into a small space and patch them all together and then stuff a bunch of splinters and wires behind a cabinet and hope that they don’t have a problem. Why not bring them all to a focal point, and use a Matrix Switcher like Entegra does. All these “my TV deosn’t have sound”, “how do I get this on that?”, and “my soundbar doesn’t work” would go away.

The ridiculous issue with a hundred screws breaking or falling out...I’ll leave alone. Flat out unacceptable, but I can’t see how Entegras are constructed, so maybe they will have problems too.

Yes, there ‘ARE’ certain things like Electronic Start ignitions that have mechanics jumping off bridges. However, our dashes ARE electronic, so why not make them have multiple capabilities and put nice, large monitors that are commensurate with the caliber of the competition? It doesn’t cost that much more.

I guess I should stop. I know some people hate, or even fear, technology and I get it. But, I do enjoy learning the technology and making it WORK FOR ME. So, I put in the effort to do it right when I have the chance...and get mad when it’s done incorrectly to the point of turning people off, rather than help them.

The funny thing is with cars these days is it’s all about tech. Cars don’t advertise chassis, braking, IFS, or most anything auto. They sell based on tech, Bluetooth, phone integration, car play, mitigation systems, etc. it’s almost embarrassing for any car enthusiast. No one knows the HP of their car anymore.

Latest resources

Back