Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How far to trash recepticle is acceptable?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I like to have it picked up. But as long as the dumpster isn't smelly and ugly I wouldn't mind taking the trash there. My only thought is who is the poor soul that has to camp next to the dumpster so you can make it "accessible" for everyone else? :oops:

I was recently at a CG in southern TX and they did a nice thing. The large trash can types that I set out in front of my house once a week...they put one of those in between sites so you could walk to the end and put trash in that can. Your trash company could then come and empty those at whatever frequency. Down sides are 1) they could be unsightly, 2) bear problems which may be an issue for your location.

2) bear problems which may be an issue for your location.
And that's part of the issue. We have bears around here as well. They stay to themselves as long as there isn't trash to get into. So all the trash receptacles have to be bear resistant. And that equates to about $3,500.00 apiece. I don't want anyone to have to walk to far to the trash but I don't want to buy to many of them either. Plus their ugly.

But as I said earlier, I'll probably be picking up trash at the curb for the first year anyway.

bear-proof-dumpster-t400-e1600882353834.jpg

I like to have it picked up. But as long as the dumpster isn't smelly and ugly I wouldn't mind taking the trash there. My only thought is who is the poor soul that has to camp next to the dumpster so you can make it "accessible" for everyone else? :oops:
Oh no, lol, nobody has to park anywhere near the thing! We're trying very hard to make this a destination that everyone will want to come back to, and I'm sure a smelly trashcan isn't going to be an assert! :)

I need all the walking I can get. I don't mind walking to a dumpster, even at an astonishing rate of $50.
On a previous thread we discussed pricing, maybe that was before you joined. But a quick refresher isn't a bad thing either. Help me understand, do you feel that $50.00 is too much?

I don't mind walking to a dumpster, even at an astonishing rate of $50.

IMHO $50/night (incl tax) is a pretty middle of the road rate these days. Even at $50 + tax, I wouldn't consider it particularly expensive. We like to stay at full-hookup parks and last year (our last major trip) the going price was ~$35-50/night plus tax. At most parks I fully expect to take my own trash to a dumpster. A lot of parks do let you leave your last day's trash at your site, especially if their dumpsters aren't in a location you would pass on the way out. I don't think it's a show-stopper either way JMO.

Having curb side pickup is something that will really be appreciated.
Buena Vista Coastal RV resort in Orange beach has In-ground trash receptacles for every 2-3 sites. You still have to pick up the bags but you don’t see them.
I also believe this system can be bear resistant.

I don't mind walking/riding to a conveniently located dumpster. As others have noted, the important thing is to clearly state the rules and show the location on a map. One of the nicest resorts where we've stayed, Hearthside Grove, does not pick up and has one centrally located set of dumpsters. An advantage is the grounds always look better because you don't have garbage sitting out at the curb for half the day because people put it our too early or too late. Jim, with the minimum number of lots you're going to have, no need for pickup...just one dumpster. IMHO.

@murphysranch, this is a far from completed information pamphlet that I've been working on. It doesn't have pictures of the completed park because we're still working on it. :) But even though the pamphlet is in its infancy, I think you will get an idea of what we're offering for $50.00.

We understand that it's not for everyone, but we're not targeting "everyone". We have a select group of RV'ers that we want and we're ready and willing to give that group everything that we can.

Attachments

• DeerSpring RVPark.pdf.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 25
I agree with most comments - I stayed at a KOA that had a small metal garbage can at the entrance side of the pull thru, that was ok but a dumpster on site that I had to drive to is not a bad thing either. I would make it easy on the host, be it you or a hire. We generate a small grocery bag of trash a day and if I need to put these small bags into one big bag to take to a dumpster, I'm ok with that.

Latest resources

Back