Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How to figure out which battery I need?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
And now this battery is treated kindly all the time by being on a set of two Harbor Freight solar panels (of 4 from their kit) when my trailer is not in use.

And all four panels together are very helpful on even a cloudy day to keep this battery topped off when camping with no commercial power.

Rick
Psst! You can do better than Harbor Freight panels. There's used panels out there that offer as much as 300 watts of 12 volt power, and they're CHEAP, compared to new price for high-end panels.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Hello Roger,

Yea, I know . . . but my area here in Louisiana is not a mecca for the solar panel industry. I bought these HF panels and charge controller when I was a solar panel newbie and they work quite well for how much I paid.

Rick

That's a 90 amp hour battery according to Armada specs. I had never heard of them but they offer a pretty nice warranty - free replacement for 3 years and prorated for the next 3 years.

If you're worried about weight you could go with a LiFeP04 battery, assuming your converter/charger has a mode for charging those. They're MUCH lighter than lead acid batteries. For example, the 100 amp hour ones weigh 26 lbs. each. whereas the 100 AH lead acid batteries in my truck camper weigh about 70 lbs. each. These days they're much cheaper than they used to be, but they'll still cost you more than lead acid.

Last edited:
If you would rather keep trailer capacity stick with the 24 series. If you never camp off grid may I suggest a car cranking amp battery.

As stated above the battery is for high demand applications. If you will always be connected to shore power deep cycle is not needed and cranking amps are.

The advantage of this is lower weight and lower cost combined with superior demand power.

You will not find a battery chart for tts because you choose the application/service you need.

What he said^^^, but you have to be careful to not over discharge it as cranking amp batteries are damaged sooner then deep cycle batteries.

Latest resources

Back