Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Make The Perfect Silicone (Caulk) Bead?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
Well, here's a very curious question that I can't believe I'm obsessing over....

I've come to realize that Newmar does an AMAZINGLY perfect job of silicone beading!!

What brought this to my attention is that I have a section along the slide frame; referring to that trim/molding (maybe 4") that frames the slide on the outside. That bead is ridiculously smooth, even, and has NO feathering.

I "thought" I do a good job with the conventional methods, aka finger, and quickly realize I suck...at least in terms of matching Newmar's precision. So, me being a "gotta know guy"...now I'm dying to find out exactly HOW they do it. I wish I had paid more attention during my Newmar tour!

For, I bought a set of caulk-beading tools, and that certainly helped...but wondering if anyone really KNOWS how it's done!

TIA

The method I have used successfully is a 3 step process.

Step 1: apply an even line of caulk using a steady pressure on the trigger while using an equal straight motion along the path. The result should be a uniform amount of material in an even line.

Step 2: wet your finger and gently push the material into the surface. Once you have a large amount of extra, wipe your finger on a towel, re wet, and repeat.

Step 3: clean up the edges.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

YES, Ronnie...that's MY technique (and your's ;)), except that I don't wet my finger unless it's water based.

But that's DEFINITELY NOT Newmar's. Unless, of course, they've got special Amish peeps with perfectly shaped fingers. LOL

Thank you!

They are good, I've noticed the same for the most part. There are areas a little more sloppy. I wondered if it was some type of electrical dispenser vs. manual that dispensed it more evenly but I think it's just someone doing a good job. I don't think they are using fingers, I think they are laying the bead down perfectly.

It is called "practice." After you've done it a few hundred times, you get pretty good at it.

From my limited experience, how you cut the end of the tube spout (and how large a hole you create) makes a significant difference in how the bead lays down.

TJ

Places that do a lot of caulking will use pneumatic guns, this gets the even distribution, I don’t recall what Newmar does. It is also somewhat of an art and depends on the day?

I had windows replaced in my S&B and the guy was an expert sealant applicator. One tip that he gave me was to always cut the tip square, not on an angle. Also, to be careful to keep it on the smaller size. Despite this I always seem to apply too heavy of a bead so when I need a real good look I apply painters tape on both sides where the bead will run keeping the width what I want to end up with. Once I have the bead how I want it I remove the tape.

I put. little hand soap on the end my finger and smooth out the bead.

I mask both sides of the gap with blue tape. Then spread the caulk with my finger, and pull the tape off before the caulk dries.

I love this little world of our’s; where we can discuss and pontificate the virtues of the perfect bead of silicone. Hysterical!

Alas, I think the Amish have this one down to a science that I’ve yet to discover.

Any of our techniques would not produce the ridiculously “perfect” line/bead/edge of caulking on the trim pieces of my DS slides.

Now, the windows and doors and pretty much everywhere else...yeah...the ol finger would be fine.

Next time, take a look at these places and you tell me!

Attachments

• CCF3702F-A996-4DF7-822E-967706F4EF10.jpeg
    CCF3702F-A996-4DF7-822E-967706F4EF10.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Latest resources

Back