Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Make The Perfect Silicone (Caulk) Bead?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I also use painters tape and then thin plastic wrap (saran wrap) on my finger to smooth it out.

I also use painters tape and then thin plastic wrap (saran wrap) on my finger to smooth it out.

Not gonna profile the perfect Newmar bead though. NO finger method will.

The closest I’ve come is with a caulking bead tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I’m sure. Applying sealant as a large portion on ones job will certainly make you an expert and if not someone else will be give the applicator.

My process begins by finding a large diameter beverage straw. A large one likely found for slushees or milk shakes. Once found, I cut a 45 degree angle on the top half of an end. This leaves the other half still round in shape. Then, a THIN bead of caulk. The magic now involves the straw. You PUSH the straw into the bead holding it at somewhere around 15 or 20 degrees from the bead. As the straw is pushed into the bead the excess accumulates in the straw. Do not let too much accumulate. Take a cloth or paper towel and pinch the straw above the accumulated caulk. Pull the straw through the towel to remove the accumulation. Restart the push and repeat. It takes some time to get the angle and pressure correct, but it’s better than the finger schmere.
Not Amish approved!

I mask both sides of the gap with blue tape. Then spread the caulk with my finger, and pull the tape off before the caulk dries.
I do the same, takes a little longer, but produces very consistent results, the key is removing the tape while caulk is still wet

Latest resources

Back