• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to shut down solar panels

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Every time your charge controller gets PV voltage sent to it…it wants to perform it’s calculations…but with no place to go…it will just drop and die…then awake again…and you’ll get a pinball effect. I saw a YouTube video where an off grid couple had solar panels connected to a charge controller with no battery…the display on the charge controller totally went crazy. If the charge controller is first connected to the batteries…then it’s processor will have something to power it, and can derive a purpose based on the voltage…then the PV appears, and the controller knows what to do with it. So, I always recommend turning on the brain before the brawn…and disconnect the brawn before the brain. The panel itself is almost like a self contained battery, with variable output based on sunlight intensity. If you disconnect it…it will merely be like taking a AA batteries out of a flashlight. As long as light shines on it…it has potential…but does nothing with it until connected to something. Of course, this is unless you have panels with built-in controllers or micro inverters. I would read the literature for those to see if they can be damaged sitting alone unconnected in sunlight…. I haven’t toyed with any of those yet.

Thanks Charlie! That helps me understand better.

Rich

Latest resources

Back