Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Louisfarm

RVF Regular
I have 6 100 w solar panels. Im not going to use the rig for a few month and would like to shut done all power to the rig. I'm thinking on shutting of the batteries and pulling off negative lead, disconnect a/c shore and inverter. Also, i was thinking to disconnect the solar panels by disconnecting the input wires from panels to controller. Am i think straight or an i developing a hazard and possible equipment problems? Please advise the right way of doing or modification to my direction

The panels need to be turned off before the battery connection to the controller.

You should have a disconnect between the panel and the controller.

You should have a disconnect between the panel and the controller.
Yes, i do agree and it wasn't done at installation. I've looked for one on internet and only saw battery disconnects and none for solar. Can you please send me info as to buying one?

16349389645475499775118317959559.jpg

The switches are double poll motor switches available at homedepot. Good for 115v 10a. I doubt your panels voltage is over 115v, or more than 10amps.

The ONLY things that would need to be disconnected are your batteries and the solar panels, that’s it. If you disconnect everything else then you risk hooking something back up wrong and also risk stripping terminals out or not making them tight enough. Both of which can end up being a fire hazard.

Turn solar panels off and disconnect batteries only and you will be fine.

Bringing this one back up.... Dumb question.
I have a disconnect between my panels and controller... But do the panels mind being in the sun with no where to send their power?

I'd imagine if the wires are disconnected it doesn't matter. Does current flow if there is no circuit? A battery has two terminals, it has juice but without a circuit there is no flow of current. Dr. @Chuggs told me disconnect panels to charge controller prior to powering down charge controller. Panels first then battery disconnect. Reverse when powering back on.

Ok. That makes sense. Just something I was thinking through.

Thanks!
Rich

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back