Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I got HWH Active Air last December (2018) and I've been loving it. I don't fully understand it at times such as when it comes to air leveling (I should probably RTFM). I'm at a CG with a site that has no concept of level, a SP where they groom it with sand/dirt prior to the next guest, Arizona colored whatever it is. I'm severely nose down and left cant. I tried active air and it moved about an inch (watching with LevelMate Pro) and then stopped. Seems when it is in an excessive slope situation it just dies, doesn't even try. Equalizer jacks gave me excessive slope and gave up. I put my jack pads, two under each tire on the left side, that at least got me to level but active air still won't get the nose up high enough but I'm close now, at least I'm not camping in the titanic orientation for two weeks! But I just tried another level and active air never seems to stop and say I'm done. I just wait and wait and wonder if it's trying or isn't even going to try.

Anyone know the workings of HWH Active Air in excessive slope scenarios? Does it time out? I have seen it tell me excessive slope before but in cases like yesterday and today I see the yellow dot for the low nose but it just keeps on that screen. I switch to manual to see what I can do from there.

Active air takes 5 minutes to reach the excess slope. At that point your air bags will be maxed at the top when looking at the pressure gauge.

In order to air level quickly, you need to start with your tanks at max air pressure. Then hit the air.level, and keep engine on high idle.

Watch the pressure on each bag, as well as the aux tank. The aux tank needs to be 120psi or close to complete the air level.

One bag will be showing 0psi, which in your scenario is one of the rear bags.

Then it will level the low side (right or left) which is opposite the 0 psi bag.

Once that side to side level is complete, it will then start adding air to both front bags. If one of the bags reaches the max without being level then it will show excess slope.

Adding orange blocks under the front is a good way to fix that situation. Unlike Jacks, air leveling benefits greatly from those orange levelers

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

I have not been in that position....yet. Curious to see if someone has the answer.
Active air takes 5 minutes to reach the excess slope. At that point your air bags will be maxed at the top when looking at the pressure gauge.

In order to air level quickly, you need to start with your tanks at max air pressure. Then hit the air.level, and keep engine on high idle.

Watch the pressure on each bag, as well as the aux tank. The aux tank needs to be 120psi or close to complete the air level.

One bag will be showing 0psi, which in your scenario is one of the rear bags.

Then it will level the low side (right or left) which is opposite the 0 psi bag.

Once that side to side level is complete, it will then start adding air to both front bags. If one of the bags reaches the max without being level then it will show excess slope.

Adding orange blocks under the front is a good way to fix that situation. Unlike Jacks, air leveling benefits greatly from those orange levelers

Thanks for the explanation Red. That’s more than I learned at HWH.
When using air leveling I have always done so with the engine running and the coach has always leveled very quickly. But, then, I have yet to use the system while being parked on a really unlevel spot. I have never considered putting the engine at high idle. Do you recommend using high idle as standard procedure when air leveling?

I use high idle at times such as when the tank is low or in an excessive slope situation. I make sure the air tank is full and "popped off" prior to initiating auto level as I do want max air pressure for the leveling cycle. I retried level today and used high idle to have max pressure available for this situation.

And did the system respond to your liking?

It never completed leveling as it showed the yellow dot on the front but maybe I didn't wait long enough. I can't tell when it's still trying vs. it's done trying. Per @redbaron info maybe I need to start a 5 minute timer and be more patient. I could swear it was at least 5 minutes but who knows. Sometimes I get the notification it's done or excessive slope but not here. And yesterday it didn't even move until I put the roadwarrior jack pads, two each, under the front left and drive axle left wheels. I'm close so I'm fine but just needed to figure out this situation with active air leveling. I may give it another try and time it and see what happens.

If you cycle to the pressure screen you will see that at about 2/3 max, it is very slow to increase. Once it reaches 100%, if the yellow is still on, then you are going to get excess slope. This is about 4min in. At 5min the timer function will enable and display the excess slope message.

Okay, I just did another air level. I started up and waited for the air up to pop off, went into high idle and initiated an air level. I actually videod it and at 5.5 minutes in I went to the home screen and checked the pressures, fronts were at max. Well, how do you get back to the air level screen from here as I did so and that initiated another air level so dumped and tried again. This time though it actually completed in about two minutes. Odd!

Hmmmmm,
Next time I’m out and about (Wednesday) I’m going to try watching the pressure screen and go back to the home screen and see what happens. Are you sure the system said complete before you left the pressure screen? Although that really shouldn’t matter. You should be able to toggle thru different screens without restarting the leveling sequence.

Now I’m not sure because it wasn’t level. I went in to manual and raised the left side. Now it’s level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back