• Commercial/Vendors welcome

HWH Active Air knowledgeable tech/shop on the West Coast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Sticky ride height sensor? Since they are mechanical you could try cleaning and lubing the linkage mechanism.

Edit: That’s probably a good idea for anyone with AA from a maintenance perspective. Think I’ll do it today.
But wouldn’t AA try to fill the bag until it got to ride height? Even if the sensor was sticking wouldn’t I be seeing bag pressure rise? What am I missing here? Isn’t the sensor simply to keep the coach at the correct height?

But wouldn’t AA try to fill the bag until it got to ride height? Even if the sensor was sticking wouldn’t I be seeing bag pressure rise? What am I missing here? Isn’t the sensor simply to keep the coach at the correct height?
I can’t answer that question - it was just a thought. I have lots of them. Once in a while they are meaningful. Usually, not so much. But speaking of random thoughts, what if it stuck in the up position? Then it would think the bag was full. Once again though, just more of my random conjurings.

I can’t answer that question - it was just a thought. I have lots of them. Once in a while they are meaningful. Usually, not so much. But speaking of random thoughts, what if it stuck in the up position? Then it would think the bag was full. Once again though, just more of my random conjurings.
I certainly appreciate the thoughts/ideas, I’m just trying to figure out how the system works. I will definitely check out the sensors.

I certainly appreciate the thoughts/ideas, I’m just trying to figure out how the system works. I will definitely check out the sensors.
They told me they tried electronic sensors but went back to the old mechanical lever/linkage type because they are more reliable. But I could still see them getting stuck. So… I asked the installer because they looked vulnerable to me.

Ok @Neal , here goes….
The system works perfectly while traveling. The problem starts anytime I have been parked and dumped the bags for either air or hydraulic leveling. When leaving the campground the coach will not go to ride height until I push store, start out, push tag dump on/off. The whole time the master warning light is on. After several hundred feet of travel the offending bag (rt drive bag) fills and coach is good to go, master light is off. All pressures are perfect for the rest of the trip. I’ve had endless conversations with Mitch & John at HWH and they are baffled. Also, anytime I shut down even for a short period the AA panel says “returning to ride height” with the master warning on. Driving just a few feet forward the master light goes off and coach is at ride height. I’ve never been left stranded and while driving the coach is amazing. I just want it to be right!
This is a normal operation if you dump the main bags manually. Pressing "store" sends a signal to the air controller to close the solenoid/manifold to allow air up. I found this out when I manually raised my jacks, since I manually lowered them to take pressure off the bags (think physical jack not motion of coach), and it wouldn't air up. I used the front air fitting under the hood to start filling the air bags. I then found out that just pressing the store button would have solved this problem.
So that being said, it sounds like there is an interconnect that is not functioning correctly. Does your system (I assume 625 or 725) still have the auto level function? How does that affect the AA system? When you press store does it have any affect on the AA inflation? In your process described you have to press Tag dump on/off too?

If teh System in teh 2024 DSDP is the same, When I was discussing the leveling routine with the TECH at CPU, if I remember correctly, he indicated that when you start the retraction of the jacks in the Accessory Key position that you let the cycle finish before moving key to Run/starting engine OR after start press Store again to get to ride height. Moving ignition switch from Acc to Run interrupts the Air up process.

My $0.02

My problem occurs no matter how I dump the bags. Auto air & auto hydraulic both auto dump the bags before leveling. ”Store” is always pressed to get back to ride height no matter how the coach was leveled. If you look at the photos of the bag pressures you will see that the rt drive will not fill until I drive a few hundred feet.

On my coach which is NOT HWH levelers, it uses shuttle valve(s) to redirect air from dump to air up. Could you possibly have a sticking shuttle valve? I had this issue a few months back and the fix for equalizer systems is to put it in drive and for some reason that sends some signal to close it. I think it's a 12V signal.

Have you tried complete power off on the coach? 12V (salesman switch) and also chassis for say 5 minutes to allow everything to reboot? There are still some 12V loads that remain on, the only way to kill those is disconnecting the battery manually or using a cutoff switch if you installed one.

I suppose the shuttle valves (if I have them) could be the problem since driving the coach a few hundred feet seems to temporarily fix the problem but all bags with the exception of rt drive air up fine after “store” is pushed.
I have shut off the salesman switch and the chassis main switch with no change In operation. 🥲

I certainly appreciate all the help and suggestions you all have been giving me!

I like the sticky valve theory. I had one jack fully extending totally out of balance with the other three and it was just a sticking valve although mysteriously it only happened on auto-level. Manually it worked just fine. HWH replaced it for $187 (plus of course the $2500 to get there and back). Might be a similar arrangement fir the bags.

Latest resources

Back