Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
I have a minor but irritating problem with the AA system on my 2017DS. I’ve had discussions with HWH but they can’t seem to help me over the phone. Does anyone know of a knowledgeable tech or service facility here on the West Coast for the AA system? I live in the SF Bay Area and am willing to travel a few hundred miles but do not want to take the 4,000 mile round trip to HWH in Iowa.

I hate to say this, but one option is NIRVC in Vegas. Not exactly West Coast but within a 500-mile range from the Bay Area. I'd call to see if they can help you. They are not cheap either, probably over 200/hr. You might try Premier RV and or Oregon Motorcoach, both in the Eugene area. I know people who have gone to them and had good experiences. I don't know anyone with any experience with Active Air, but I think they have someone who knows something. Down here in the desert, two come to mind. One is Signature Coach in Beaumont and Newell owners go there. The other is Redlands Truck and RV. I have heard good things about them and they are very responsive but I don't know anyone who has used them. If I think of others, I will send them along.

Edit: I remember seeing the dealer page for HWH Corp and maybe this would help.

This is a problem with a highly specialized system such as HWH Active Air and is always a concern "what if." I don't think many are going to touch something like that without some guidance such as just being "remote hands" for HWH. Maybe describe the issue and see if any of the Active Air owners can offer a resolution? And beyond that we're curious what you're experiencing should we ever experience the same.

If Newmar is willing to work on it, their mobile tech might be able to help. Big “if” but might be worth a phone call: NewServ Coordinator Newmar (800) 731-8300 . I looked at the HWH page and they only list Rick’s in El Cajon but their website has never seemed particularly up to date.

Ok @Neal , here goes….
The system works perfectly while traveling. The problem starts anytime I have been parked and dumped the bags for either air or hydraulic leveling. When leaving the campground the coach will not go to ride height until I push store, start out, push tag dump on/off. The whole time the master warning light is on. After several hundred feet of travel the offending bag (rt drive bag) fills and coach is good to go, master light is off. All pressures are perfect for the rest of the trip. I’ve had endless conversations with Mitch & John at HWH and they are baffled. Also, anytime I shut down even for a short period the AA panel says “returning to ride height” with the master warning on. Driving just a few feet forward the master light goes off and coach is at ride height. I’ve never been left stranded and while driving the coach is amazing. I just want it to be right!

If Newmar is willing to work on it, their mobile tech might be able to help. Big “if” but might be worth a phone call: NewServ Coordinator Newmar (800) 731-8300 . I looked at the HWH page and they only list Rick’s in El Cajon but their website has never seemed particularly up to date.
They are here at Desert Shores often and over at Motorcoach and ORI as well so that could work well. As @Rich W says It really depends if they can handle it. I definitely would ask NIRVC as I referred someone over there that had HWH (was not an AA issue) issues and they were able to handle it. Since signature coach does a lot of Prevost and Newell work and those coaches all have air systems they might be able to handle it. Worth a phone call.

It sounds like it’s not a AA issue but an air leak or bad air bag. I had a leak check done last FL service and they replaced a few things. I’ll ask them to check again in my upcoming visit. Maybe try a local FL service location and focus on air system from lines fittings and bags?

Have you by any chance monitored the pressures page to see if anything looks odd?

IMG_5165.jpeg
IMG_4934.HEIC.jpeg
Here are two views of the bag pressures. One showing rt drive not filling while parked when trying to go to drive height. The other shows all bags working correctly after driving a few hundred feet.

Sticky ride height sensor? Since they are mechanical you could try cleaning and lubing the linkage mechanism.

Edit: That’s probably a good idea for anyone with AA from a maintenance perspective. Think I’ll do it today.

Latest resources

Back