Mountain Aire 4519
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins 500
TOW/TOAD
2023 Ram 1500
On September 16, my HWH hydraulic motor/pump blew a 40-amp fuse and melted the fuse holder. Of course, the pump stopped pumping and all things hydraulic ceased operation. After replacing the fuse and holder, it all worked again, but the terminal post to the HWH motor was wiggly and jiggly...not a good sign. So, on the 18th I called Newmar for some diagnostic assistance (replace the pump, she said) and a quote for the new part (I'll have to get back to you, he said).

9/24 - Hydraulics were working, so off we go to Minneapolis for three days. Slides out, jacks down for two days, then we had to move to a different site.

9/27 - Jacks up, and uh-oh, FWS isn't coming in...the pump went 'legs up.' It's beginning to look like we may be late to the Newmar International, just over 500 miles away. Coincidentally, the Newmar parts quote arrived today...$1,964.93, plus labor. 8-10 days out. And, just 10 days to get a price!

Somewhere in there I called HWH. A lady answered the phone, but told me a tech would not be available for about a month. Thank you and good-bye.

Aha! I'll call Coach-Net and do the manual slide operation thing. Then we can be on our way and have Newmar techs fix it at the rally.

Called Coach-Net at 6pm and they said they would have someone out in about an hour and that the slide would be in before bedtime. They called back at 6:30 saying it was too late to get a mobile tech and they would take care of it first thing in the morning.

9/28 - 8:30 call from Coach-Net to say they were on the job and would get back to me. So, I called Newmar customer service with questions about how to manually move the slide in. It's easy, she said, just use the long screws that came with the coach. A little reading on my part says the floor has to be raised before that happens, so I called back. Oops, she says, that's a separate operation, just follow the owners manual. But, I have questions...click.

Coach-Net calls back. They found a tech, the only one in the Minneapolis area, but he's three hours away and says he can probably do the job. OK, send him. I keep working on raising the FWS, which has four screws that are used to raise the slide. I can only find three screws, so call Newmar again and get a different CSR. Rick says it will be faster and cheaper to just replace the pump. Then he explains that the fourth screw that I can't find involves removing the drive wheels and wheel well cover. A day and half at best, he says. (Like I can lift the frekin wheels).

Search, search, search the internet...thank you, StarLink! And I find a possibility...Stuart's Service in Elkhart, IN. I call and speak with Chuck, the owner. An incredibly helpful gentleman who lead me and my volt meter to troubleshoot the problem and verify that the motor has failed. And, yes, he has one in stock. And, yes, he will ship it overnight via UPS. And, holy crap! It's only $409, plus freight.

And now I'm still waiting for a promised call-back from Coach-Net. And my head is still spinning from Newmar's crazy mark-up and super-lousy instructions.

But mostly, I'm really grateful for a guy named Chuck at a place called Stuart's Service in Elkhart.

We'll still make it to the Newmar International, though a day late. I sure hope I run into the new president, Cody?, 'cuz I've got a thing or two I'd like to discuss with him!

-End of rant-

60BD0247-5852-4454-8786-963F47F9F178.jpeg
F91C7DF5-CBE0-4DC5-B0DB-320CFDACD7EA_4_5005_c.jpeg

That would lead me to this.

Drunk Happy Hour GIF

Whoah! I'm with @sheridany. In fact, I think I will have a tequila on your behalf. LAWD! No words. Thank goodness for Chuck at Stuart's Service. Drive safely to the rally. Best to Jeanette. I hope you get a chance to the new president! If only I were a fly....

Wow, Buddy, that's terrible. Do you think you'll make it to Deer Springs or would you like me to cancel your reservation?

On September 16, my HWH hydraulic motor/pump blew a 40-amp fuse and melted the fuse holder.....Stuart's Service in Elkhart, IN . .... I sure hope I run into the new president,
The hwh failures are a royal pain. I had each and every one of them. The fuse burn maybe exposure to rain, etc.. OVERTIME. It seems to be common enough. I replaced those fuses with a protective fuse holder. Can't find the same exact, but these are close to what I used;

Amazon product ASIN B07CGD3WCS
Amazon product ASIN B07CGD3WCS
Any HWH issue, Stuarts is the place, for parts too. They replaced the pump for me as well. Had to manualy bring the FWS all the way in, took almost 4 hrs.

As for raising this issue up the ladder, I encourage you to consider that. Part of the very many problems in RV industry and newmar, not too many people raise these issues with the man in charge. Often, the head guy may not even know there are problems, unless, 'US" the owners write to them and make them aware.

The HWH fuses by the pump are exposed to the environment and should be replaced with water proof sealed fuse holders. Others may want to consider replacing them. I had to do mine when it was very cold and had to crawl under the gen bay to replace it.

One advantage I see with Foretravel is they keep the HWH pump inside a bay! safe and sound. I wonder if one could contain the hwh pump inside some container and protect from the elements. The hwh pump on mine had corrosion and rust all over after 6.5 yrs, even though I always cleaned the coach after every trip. However, travel around midwest/NE, they are exposed to rain and road grime.

Attachments

• 20220915_163810.jpg
    20220915_163810.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Wow, Buddy, that's terrible. Do you think you'll make it to Deer Springs or would you like me to cancel your reservation?
Oh, hell no, don't cancel my reservation! We'll be there...I'll probably have embellishments to the story by then. A few drinks around a campfire is just what this story needs to become RV legend!

Oh, hell no, don't cancel my reservation! We'll be there...I'll probably have embellishments to the story by then. A few drinks around a campfire is just what this story needs to become RV legend!
lol, OK. Looking forward to the visit! I was looking for some Eagle Rare, but the state store wasn't helpful at all! :-(

Well at least I know I’m not alone. I was finally released from Sidney NE with my rig back in one piece after a week at Floyd’s Truck Service (not sure I can recommend them) and so far it’s operating properly. I’m going to spend a few more $$ on a couple hours of diagnostic time tomorrow at a more official FL shop in Lincoln to check all the work that was done over the last week. Anyway apparently I’m not the only one….

Headed to Missouri? This: 37th International Rally - Sedalia Missouri - Newmar Kountry Klub ? I might head that way myself.

I’ll be at HWH next Monday so if you need me to get someone on the phone for you let me know. I’ve been told the same thing - “a tech will call you back in around 3 weeks”. Something has definitely changed there.

Last edited:
lol, OK. Looking forward to the visit! I was looking for some Eagle Rare, but the state store wasn't helpful at all! :-(
I have a little to share with you. And maybe a couple of others.

BTW I’ll be at HWH next Monday so if you need me to get someone on the phone for you let me know. I’ve been told the same thing - “a tech will call you back in around 3 weeks”. Something has definitely changed there.
I have a question for HWH you can ask. I have flown airplanes my whole live with hydraulic systems. For critical system like putting down the landing gear (or retracting the slides/jacks in a MH) there was always an effective manual back up system. Using these big screws to pull slides in is not a solution that makes sense.

So ask HWH if they have ever considered some kind of back up system for failure of the primary hydraulic system. I could envision a kit with a small 12 volt hydraulic pump with quick disconnect fittings that could be snapped in place to manually retract the slides and jacks bypassing the built in plumbing. I have flown some older airplanes that actually have a manual hand operated hydraulic pump to lower the gear. It takes a while but it works.

Latest resources

Back