• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Would appreciate some advice on traveling with cats

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Based upon the feedback here I believe this is the route we will go. My wife and I have been retired for 7 years now. We have wanted to travel, but we have been anchored at home taking care of our parents. That has passed now. We just can't imagine going anywhere without the cats.
My dogs and cat always go with me, it’s part of the adventure!
IMG_2044.jpeg

look into traveling cat crates. there are several that have some nice options. I have one for my 2 cats that allows you to connect multiples together, so each cat has its own space. I have 4 of them so that there is a common space for food/water and a litter box, plus a spot for each cat (though they tend to pile onto each other), and it fits perfectly in the rear of my SUV, then my two GSD/Doberman mixes get tethered to the back seat.

this is the one I use

Thanks for the input. We are going to try another trip in our pickup with the cats. This time we are going to organize the cat-related stuff so it is easy to setup and take down at the hotel. In the truck seems to be working as-is.

It’s always good to travel with our fur babies.

Thanks for the input. We are going to try another trip in our pickup with the cats. This time we are going to organize the cat-related stuff so it is easy to setup and take down at the hotel. In the truck seems to be working as-is.
I did this when I went to Newmar for service and did not want to have to keep my cat caged with no litter box in the waiting room. So I booked a hotel for 4 days.
I felt it was like taking a small child to a friends house, the litter box, the cat carrier, water and food bowls, water, and wet/dry food. It quickly changed my mind about selling my rv and hoteling it.

Animals are like humans! Some do better when they can see everything. Others want the security of a tight space (pet carrier).

My dog "Minnie" does what she wants, and I let her! With the one exception (a plane ride where she had to be in a pet carrier), and that only served to help her security issues!

When I call her to go somewhere with me, she either comes a running, or motion at the RV door letting me know she wants to stay behind!

She appreciates my understanding of her desire, and all works in our favor!!!

I felt it was like taking a small child to a friends house, the litter box, the cat carrier, water and food bowls, water, and wet/dry food. It quickly changed my mind about selling my rv and hoteling it.
Please go on further... "It quickly changed my mind about selling my rv and hoteling it."

Please go on further... "It quickly changed my mind about selling my rv and hoteling it."
Well, in the mh, she is always home. She is comfortable, she loves riding in it. Yes it took a few hundred miles for her to get used to it. Now she has been all over the country. No having to load her and her stuff out and in, no strange environments every night. Her litter box is always in the same place. She knows where her food is.
I literally bought the last two rvs so she can be with me all the time. She will climb onto the passenger seat to come visit for a while as I am driving.
They love continuity, so its a win win for me, because I do not want to lug that stuff in and out of a hotel nightly. I also prefer a mh over a trailer for the same reasons

Well, in the mh, she is always home. She is comfortable, she loves riding in it. Yes it took a few hundred miles for her to get used to it. Now she has been all over the country. No having to load her and her stuff out and in, no strange environments every night. Her litter box is always in the same place. She knows where her food is.
I literally bought the last two rvs so she can be with me all the time. She will climb onto the passenger seat to come visit for a while as I am driving.
They love continuity, so its a win win for me, because I do not want to lug that stuff in and out of a hotel nightly. I also prefer a mh over a trailer for the same reasons
Your reasoning is exactly why I arrived at the thought of a motorhome originally. Thank you for sharing. Still as someone said, $50K so you can travel with your cats doesn't make financial sense. We need to like the RV lifestyle. I will have to determine that, first.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back