Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question I am absolutely new to RV lifestyle but want it!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My wife and I have a friend who spent the last 10 years in his fifth wheel. Summer in Michigan his home state. I think in his sisters bacyyard? Winters at a campground Emerald cove, on the California side of the Colorado river opposite Parker AZ. There are numerous huge RV campgrounds along the river there and many full timers winter there. Doesn’t freeze, lots of them fish and boat. We stayed there several times. The campgrounds lease the land from the BLM the only catch is you cannot become a full time resident, so I believe the maximum stay is 6 months.
you need to purchase a membership, which can sometimes be bought off of someone else who is done full timing. He once told me it worked out to $5 a day.

If your up for a unique adventure you could try Quartzite in AZ. Just know that inexpensive also brings in a unique group of full timers. Some might say these are the pioneers of full time RV living.

My wife and I have a friend who spent the last 10 years in his fifth wheel. Summer in Michigan his home state. I think in his sisters bacyyard? Winters at a campground Emerald cove, on the California side of the Colorado river opposite Parker AZ. There are numerous huge RV campgrounds along the river there and many full timers winter there. Doesn’t freeze, lots of them fish and boat. We stayed there several times. The campgrounds lease the land from the BLM the only catch is you cannot become a full time resident, so I believe the maximum stay is 6 months.
you need to purchase a membership, which can sometimes be bought off of someone else who is done full timing. He once told me it worked out to $5 a day.
Someone else mentioned this BLM thing. If it's 5 a day I could afford that monthly. I also have two medium sized dogs I should mention and one that goes off pretty much everytime she hears something so somewhere with not much traffic or staying bumper to bumper sort of way. All I have to do is get my truck brakes hooked up with the campers brakes and get a generator. Was told 3500 watt generator should be enough to run everything in mine. Again new to all this and if I can avoid city driving that be a plus. Need like a custom map to get me going. I'll be starting from Manistique MI. Part of me really wants to do this, my house has horrible windows cost me over $240 a month in gas just to keep my downstairs 62. And so plan on taking a loan against it and then selling it in the spring when I come back.

Anything sounds better than the winter in the Upper in a trailer!!!

Florida is fine if you're pockets are deep.

Texas in Brownsville area is good.

Deming nm only sees about 3" of snow, but can freeze pipes buried shallow.

Southern az seldom freezes.

California desert is swimming weather in the hot springs.

Some tips:

Come across on I-10 or I-40 when winter traveling headed to AZ.
Forest service has road use maps that show roads you can camp along 14 days, no charge. Any fs station has those maps gratis.

The west is more RV friendly, that is the reason I seldom leave AZ with my RV. Free camping on BLM land can easily be found from I-40 down to Yuma that will keep your RV from freezing.

California has some of the highest prices on fuel, (and everything else). If you're liberal you will likely enjoy California, those that aren't, Can't get out fast enough.

I stay in on BLM LTVAs for 6 months a year (the permit is for 7 months, for 180 the season). Depending on location water,dump station, and trash dumpsters are provided, for that fee.
That sounds good, you only ended up paying 180 for the whole time you were away for the winter?

Please . . . . . do tell!
Personally I like this area. Has what I would call character. This link is a good description of what to expect. If not familiar with Slab City, it is a abandoned military installation that left behind cement slab foundations becoming nicknamed Slab City. Slab City is a bit too fringe for me, Mad Max comes to mind. I only mention Slab city because it is mentioned in the link.

That sounds good, you only ended up paying 180 for the whole time you were away for the winter?
Quartzsite this year, imperial dam for many years. I think there are 4 areas that are part of the LTVA. Quartzsite is close to stores so trip gas is reduced, the reason I will spend the winter here.

Yes the permit is 180 for the season. I am in the LA posa north area. Stop in if you come here, I will share tips with you.

Someone else mentioned this BLM thing. If it's 5 a day I could afford that monthly. I also have two medium sized dogs I should mention and one that goes off pretty much everytime she hears something so somewhere with not much traffic or staying bumper to bumper sort of way. All I have to do is get my truck brakes hooked up with the campers brakes and get a generator. Was told 3500 watt generator should be enough to run everything in mine. Again new to all this and if I can avoid city driving that be a plus. Need like a custom map to get me going. I'll be starting from Manistique MI. Part of me really wants to do this, my house has horrible windows cost me over $240 a month in gas just to keep my downstairs 62. And so plan on taking a loan against it and then selling it in the spring when I come back.
There are some BLM areas that you can stay at for free. Not even a permit required. Be aware though, somehow you will need to replenish your water supply, dump your tanks and get rid of your garbage. You will need to learn quickly that life you are used to will not be the same boondocking. Water becomes a valuable scarcity. Garbage, sewer and grey water will become a enemies (you just can't leave it outside or bury it). All thus should be taken into consideration when deciding where you stay. Oh, by the way, your dogs still will not be allowed to roam free. There are a lot of folks out there that are pretty tolerant about a lot of things but all it takes is one to not like your pup snooping around and all of a sudden "Opps!! What dog"!

The Sonoran desert has varied landscapes and temperatures. If you like more green in your views you might like Tucson. This is a beautiful desert area with lots of Saguaro Cacti (The large ones with "arms"). As well, the ground is not quite as rocky as the area around Quartzsite and Yuma. The temps are a little more moderate than the Yuma area which is probably the warmest.

Most folks, including me, like our neighbors to be "distant". It's best to keep your distance. I don't really want to hear your generator nor do I want you to hear mine. Perhaps you should invest in some solar so your genny will see less use.

There is a lot to see and do in the desert. If you like pretty rocks, minerals, gold and, silver all have been found locally. Lots of places to hike. You won't see many Rattlers or Scorpions during the winter months. It's too cold for them but be careful anyway.
Close to Parker and not too far from Quartzsite is a place called the Desert Bar. Nellie E Saloon It's only open Saturday and Sunday from noon until 6:00 PM. I think every first timer out to go there. Seriously, the drive to the place is a little rough but I have seen four door sedans make it. The food is great, the beer always cold and the live music is always good. I actually go every year.

If you do decide to come on down, you have a great distance to travel. Google Earth tells me that you will be traveling through Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, to get to Arizona. Over 2000 miles and about 32 hour traveling time. If you plan your route there are places you can stop overnight for free too.

Darrell

Attachments

• 01 18 Feb 04 2018 Gilbert Ray Campground.JPG
    01 18 Feb 04 2018 Gilbert Ray Campground.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 01 08 Jan 03 2018  American Girl Mine Road BLM.JPG
    01 08 Jan 03 2018 American Girl Mine Road BLM.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
Quartzsite this year, imperial dam for many years. I think there are 4 areas that are part of the LTVA. Quartzsite is close to stores so trip gas is reduced, the reason I will spend the winter here.

Yes the permit is 180 for the season. I am in the LA posa north area. Stop in if you come here, I will share tips with you.
A schoolmate of mine said I could make it in Tennessee somewhere there don't freeze? Either way looking for the nearest and straighter route to get there and set up. All this is sounding exciting but still gotta come up with a plan.

Latest resources

Back